Licensed Practical Nurse
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education - Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency accredited by the Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc. (ACEN) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency or the Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc., 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 | Atlanta, GA 30326 Or from the http://www.nlnac.org/ACEN web site. All applicants must verify that the program where you received your Nursing Degree is accredited by checking to see if it is listed on either the state agency approved list or the ACEN list (see below) in order to meet the basic qualification requirements. IF your educational degree program is not listed on one of these websites and the program was accredited at the time you graduated, you will need to submit additional written documentation from one of these agencies or from the Director of the Nursing program of your school as proof of accreditation by the ACEN or the State. Your college transcripts are not proof of this documentation.***The Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc.(ACEN), located at 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 | Atlanta, GA 30326 or call (404) 975-5000. The ACEN accredits all levels of nursing programs. Additional information may be obtained from the ACEN. http://www.acenursing.org/ . To Verify State Nursing Board: Google - State Nursing Board of _______(the state in which the school is located) and then look for the Board of Nursing approved LPN schools. Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment. The education requirement is waived for VHA employees who were converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) in implementation of Public Law 98-160, enacted November 21, 1983, and for VHA employees converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7405 in implementation of Public Law 99-576, enacted October 28, 1986; and for their future personnel actions under this authority. The waiver will not apply to persons appointed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) or 7405 after these conversions.
- Licensure - Condition of employment. Active, full, current and unrestricted licensure as a Graduate Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), of the United States or the District of Columbia. An LPN who has or has ever had, any license(s) revoked, suspended, denied, restricted, limited, or issued/placed in a probation status may be appointed only in accordance with regulations issued by the Under Secretary for Health or designee.
- Proficient in spoken and written English - as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407
Grade Determinations:GS-6 level - Experience - Completion of at least one (1) year of qualifying experience at the GS-05 level or equivalent and fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-05 LPN/LVN. Please make sure that each item below is addressed in detail in the body of your resume.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: In addition can demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations
2. Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant] patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
3. Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
4. Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO.
5. Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
6. Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
7. Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
8. Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
9. Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS 6. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is GS 6.
Physical Requirements: See VA Handbook 5005, Part III, Chapter 2, paragraph 7, and VA Handbook 5019, Occupational Health Services. All applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform efficiently the duties of the position. Must be able to lift (30 lbs or more); twisting and/or bending, standing and/or walking almost constantly during the course of the day.
May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation) Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This position may be eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program within VHA. You must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VHA Policy and apply for EDRP within four (4) months of appointment. Final award amount and program start date is determined after review of a complete EDRP application and supporting documentation by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services Office. The EDRP Coordinators, Anna Harris and Sherry Miller can be reached at [email protected]