Nurse Practitioner-Extended Care
Use Position Requirements section copy button to copy in appropriate template based on your recruitment
Qualifications: Meets VA standards (VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6) for employment including
citizenship, NP licensure, Master's Degree required (NLN or CCNE Accredited), and current adult nurse certification
by a nationally recognized certifying body . Two to three years of nursing practice with demonstrated clinical
knowledge and skill in professional primary care or medical surgical nursing.
1. English language proficiency and references required.
2. In order to be considered for appointment or promotion to Nurse III, outcomes must be documented. Meeting
the Practice dimension involves incorporating and implementing the requirements of the other qualification
3. Leading and organizing delivery of care to assure continuity of care and peer accountability for practice,
including access to care and discharge planning.
4. Using advanced clinical knowledge/judgment to promote staff involvement in planning, decision-making
and evaluating outcomes.
5. Functioning as an expert in clinical practice and/or in areas related to the assigned roles and responsibilities.
6. Systematically evaluating current practice, and formulating outcomes for groups of patients and/or
organizational processes within area of expertise.
7. Guiding, developing and supporting staff from a leadership perspective.
8. Using professional standards of care, scientific evidence and practice to evaluate programs and/or service
See VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6 for additional Nurse Practitioner qualification requirements.
The population of male and female veterans served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65
and over. VANJHCS is an interdisciplinary teaching facility, serving medical, surgical, mental health and long term
care inpatients and outpatients. This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech,
and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping,
sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may
be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing
in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to
patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must
be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift
priorities based on patient needs. Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.