Medical Support Assistant (Adv)
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency - MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section A, paragraph 3j.
- Experience. Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; or
- Education. One year above high school; or
- Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
Preferred Experience: Experience scheduling and coordinating appointments for patients with various clinics, ensuring all treatment requested by the physician has been scheduled, and rescheduling appointments when necessary; coordinating appointments schedules with other clinics in order to avoid conflicts; ensuring appointments are timely and in accordance with physicians' requests; monitoring pre-appointment requirements to assure readiness for patient visit/procedure (e.g., X-ray, lab work); entering appropriate information into the electronic record; providing information via telephone and in person to the general public, members of the professional staff, patients, and other medical center personnel in response to inquiries regarding appointments; managing a tracking system for follow up care such as consults, tests, etc.; setting priorities and deadlines, adjusting the flow and sequencing of the work to meet team and patient needs, providing input in problem solving on operational issues or procedures in team meetings, performing administrative follow up actions.
Grade Determinations: In addition to the Basic Requirements, candidates must meet the following for the GS-06 Grade level.
References: VA Handbook 5005/117, Part II, Appendix G45, Medical Support Assistant Qualification Standard.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-06.
Physical Requirements: Work is mostly sedentary and requires prolonged sitting and typing; Light lifting (under 15 pounds); Light carrying (under 15 pounds); Reaching above shoulder; Walking (up to half hour); Standing (up to half hour); Kneeling (up to half hour); Repeated bending (up to half hour); Ability to read written material; Depth perception; Hearing (aid permitted). Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.