Nursing Assistant - Float Pool
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 04/22/2021.
- Citizenship: Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens
- Education or Training: One year above high school with courses related to the [NA] occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3. IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education
- Physical Requirements: All applicants must meet physical requirements for this position. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
- English Language Proficiency: NAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
- Knowledge of Current Practice: To be creditable, the experience must have required the use of knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the current practice.
- Quality of Experience: To be creditable, NA experience must be documented on the application or resume and verified in an employment reference, or through other independent means.
- Part-Time Experience: Part-time experience as a NA is creditable according to its relationship to the full-time workweek. For example, a NA employed 20 hours a week, or on a 1/2-time basis, would receive 1 full-time workweek of credit for each 2 weeks of service.
In order to qualify for the GS5 applicants MUST meet the following requirements.
GS-5 (Full Performance Level)
Experience:. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment.
Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree(IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education);
Demonstrated KSAs: In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
- Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new [NAs] by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
- Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc.
This is the full performance level for NAs. NAs at this grade level function as a member of the nursing care team and assist licensed nursing staff in the care of patients/residents receiving outpatient care, home or community living care or other patients/residents who are in acute, sub-acute or chronic states of illness. The distinguishing factor is that patient/resident assignments typically involve more complex nursing needs which can vary within a range of predictable to unpredictable requirements. NAs at this level also assume more of a peer education/mentorship role.
VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G47
- Current CNA certification strongly preferred
- 1 or more years inpatient Nursing Assistant experience strongly preferred
- Current American Heart Association BLS for healthcare providers credentials
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast paced environment.
- Applicant must be self-motivated, possessing critical thinking and interpersonal relationship skills.
- 2-3 years recent experience appropriate to the area applied for (i.e. Long Term Care, Med/Surg, ER, etc.)
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS5. The actual grade that you can be selected is a GS5. Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.