RN, Charge Nurse, CVICU, Full-Time, 7P- 7A
Why UT Health - East Texas?
Our People. Our people truly are our greatest strength. They make a massive difference in the amazing care we provide every day. We work closely together to create a positive experience for our patients and each other.
Our Purpose. We will build on your experience and provide meaningful and purposeful career growth for your future. You will have the opportunity every day to make a difference in someone’s life and change the course of healthcare.
Our Place. Tyler, TX is a small town with a huge heart where you will have the privilege of caring for your neighbors. Everybody is somebody here.
Representing the very best in healthcare, UT Health East Texas is comprised of 10 hospitals and more than 50 clinics across east Texas. With nearly 7,500 employees and over 1,000 licensed in-patient beds, UT Health East Texas provides healthcare services to thousands of patients annually through our hospitals, clinics, Level 1 trauma facility, air emergency fleet and EMS service in a metropolitan service area of a quarter-million people.
Coordinates and administers care to a unit specific patient population utilizing a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to ensure that each patient receives nursing care appropriate to his/her illness or condition. Provides clinical supervision to the clinical, professional, and auxiliary staff to ensure the continuous delivery of quality patient care. Works cooperatively with appropriate medical staff to ensure accomplishment of hospital and departmental goals. Manages departmental activities in accordance with hospital and departmental policy and ensures that care is delivered consistent with physician’s orders and treatment protocols. Oversees the implementation of a plan of care appropriate to each patient’s needs.
DUTIES, ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Maximizes the effectiveness of nursing staff on the assigned shift by ensuring that patient care assignments are made in accordance with established standards and are appropriate to each patient’s nursing care needs.
- Serves as a resource nurse for staff and makes accurate decisions in complex and dynamic clinical situations.
- Demonstrates and maintains clinical skills proficiency in all required unit specific nursing skills including the use of equipment. Assists in the orientation, training, and evaluation of the nursing unit’s personnel.
- Evaluates the patient’s progress toward desired outcomes and assists the patient and family in preparing for discharge.
- Participates in quality improvement activities and educational activities including attendance of at least 85% of the unit’s staff meetings (10 out of 12) or other assigned meetings.
- Completes daily departmental check-list and makes assignments.
- Makes consistent and routine rounds on the unit assigned each shift talking with patients and patient’s family ensuring that their needs/concerns have been addressed. Ensures that all work areas are clean and free of food, drinks and trash.
- Ensures that all equipment is maintained and available in the department.
- Assists the Nurse Educators in maintaining staff competencies.
- Assists the Management Team in tasks that may be assigned to them.
- Supervises Clinical/Nursing staff assigned to his/her shift
Systematically evaluate quality and factors relating to safety, effectiveness, and cost in planning and delivering patient care:
- Participate in quality of care activities such as the implementation of a continuous quality improvement plan and the hospital wide performance improvement process, as appropriate to position, education and practice environment.
- Utilize results of quality of care activities to initiate changes in practice.
Implement Infection Control, Safety and Risk Management Programs in all nursing practices.
Demonstrate ability to adapt to varied age-specific patient populations.
Acquire and maintain current knowledge in nursing practice, for example:
- Complete mandatory annual Learning Management System modules in a timely manner.
- Attend departmental meetings per policy.
Contribute to professional development of peers, colleagues and others, for example. Recognize own learning needs and those of peers and assists in meeting those needs to maximize professional development and optimal medical/surgical nursing practice.
Assume all other duties and responsibilities as necessary:
- Identify and/or assume activities related to developmental needs of unit and/or nursing department.
- Demonstrate dependability/flexibility in meeting scheduling needs of unit and/or hospital.
- Accept assignment as preceptor for new staff.
- Assure supplies and equipment necessary for the care of patients is readily available and in working order
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Degree as a Registered Nurse from an accredited school of professional nursing
Two years of inpatient/acute care nursing experience preferred
One Year of Charge Nurse experience preferred
Certification and Licensure:
Current Texas RN License required
Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS) required
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required within 6 months of employment
Advance certification as applicable to the unit/department assigned (preferred within one year of accepting Charge Nurse position)
Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds, position patients and possess physical strength sufficient to assist in lifting/transferring patients and moving departmental equipment.
Must possess digital dexterity.
Must have keen sense of touch, smell, vision, and hearing.
Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
May be exposed to infectious diseases.
Regularly exposed to blood and body fluids.
Interacts with patients and visitors under a variety of circumstances and is subject to unpredictable situations.
Subject to long, irregular hours, overtime.
Exposed to unpleasant and, at times, crisis situations secondary to patient injuries and/or illnesses
Patient Centered Customer Service: Genuinely care about people.
Cultivate a compassionate environment: Changing lives for the better together
Clinical and Operational Excellence: A relentless drive to be the best.
Holistic Approach: Think and act for the benefit of the whole.
Promote a collaborative environment: Build effective working relationships with others.
Identify and Develop Talent: Prepare others to deliver excellence.
Business Acumen: Know, own and drive our business.
Continually Simplify and Improve: Work to make everything as efficient as possible.
Foster Innovation: Seek and apply leading edge solutions.
Set Clear Direction: Tell others where you are going, how to get there and why.
Ability to sit/stand for long periods of time while completing work on a computer
Ability to lift 10 or more pounds
Ability to move throughout the workplace
Now that you have read about what you will be doing and the experience we seek, it is time to apply and make a difference in the lives of our patients.
UT Health East Texas is an equal opportunity employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).