Goal and Learning Outcomes
This course has been approved for 8 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2008, 2009, 1/15/10 through 12/31/10, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 and approved for 10 hours for 2015 and 2016.
The purpose of this home study course is to provide nurses with important information about the incidence of heart disease in women, its etiology and its risk factors. Because healthy lifestyle choices are vital to the prevention of heart disease, issues related to diet, exercise, weight control and smoking cessation are emphasized. The course also covers the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease. Armed with this knowledge, nurses can help prevent and treat heart disease in women. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Identify the role of heart disease as a cause of death for women
- List two risk factors for heart disease that cannot be changed and five that can be changed
- Identify normal and abnormal blood lipid levels
- Explain the value of exercise and weight control in preventing heart disease
- Discuss the role of hypertension in heart disease
- Describe how diabetes affects heart disease
- Describe psychological factors that contribute to heart disease
- Explain labs, diagnostic tests and common procedures for diagnosing heart disease
- Describe common medical and surgical treatments for heart disease
- Identify the role of the government in heart-related research
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.