Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this prescribing controlled substances for license renewal continuing education program is to provide nurse practitioners in Florida with information about best practices in the prescribing of controlled substances, including safe and effective prescribing, administration, and dispensing of controlled substances to patients with conditions that are treated with these types of medications. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe the advanced registered nurse practitioner’s scope of practice and regulatory factors for prescribing controlled substances in accordance with the HB 423: Access to Health Care Services, § 464.012, F.S.
- Describe the required process for updating the protocol with the supervising physician and the process for registering to be assigned a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration number
- Discuss the scheduled medication categories listed under the Controlled Substance Act and name examples of each category
- Describe proper documentation of assessments, informed consent, treatment agreements, treatment plans, monitoring process for patients using opioids, and how to register and use Electronic-Florida Online Reporting of Controlled Substance Evaluation Program (E-FORCSE)
- Discuss the indications of opioids and other key elements for safe, effective management of acute, neuropathic, and chronic pain
- Describe the pathology and appropriate prescribing for controlled substances for management of attention deficit disorder/attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, anxiety, testosterone hormone replacement, insomnia, and weight loss
- Discuss the problem of drug addiction as it relates to controlled substance use, including the prevalence, signs, and symptoms
- Describe components of patient evaluation and education necessary for a treatment plan that incorporates functional goals, assessment of addiction risk, and use of safety measures when controlled substances are prescribed
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning (a Relias LLC company) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.