Goal and Learning Outcomes
This course has been approved for 8 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2008, 2009, 1/15/10 through 12/31/10, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
The goal of this continuing education module is to provide nurses with theoretical information and practical strategies to improve their skills as patient educators. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Explain why appropriate, quality patient education is a growing need in the U.S.
- Describe two theories that are relevant to designing effective patient education programs
- List and describe all of the processes involved in patient education
- Discuss the role of the family in patient education and propose strategies to build a teaching partnership with family members
- Discuss the potential impact of the patient’s age and developmental level on patient education
- State ways in which culture influences healthcare practices and patient education
- Describe an incident of noncompliance and the ways in which a nurse could have helped patients and families follow treatment recommendations
- Explain methods to help teach patients who have low literacy skills
- Identify two appropriate resources for successful patient education
- List three methods patients and families can use to evaluate healthcare information from the Internet
Course Termination/ Update Date : 08/07/2018
Course Originally Released on : 01/01/2001
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.