Goal and Learning Outcomes
The purpose of this course is to provide nurses with information about stroke prevention and outline nursing care for the acute and rehabilitative care of a patient with stroke. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Discuss trends in stroke prevention and management
- Summarize the nursing role in the initial treatment of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke
- Describe the nursing role in the care of patients with stroke in the acute care setting
- Discuss principles and strategies used in stroke rehabilitation
- State strategies used in the rehabilitation of patients with mobility and self-care deficits after a stroke
- Identify strategies in the rehabilitation of patients with cognitive, sensory, and perceptual deficits after stroke
- Describe techniques used in the management of patients with dysphasia
- Discuss approaches used in the management of patients with communication deficits
- Describe strategies used in the management of patients with elimination impairments or sexual dysfunction
- Discuss psychosocial issues faced by patients and identify planning necessary for successful community transition after stroke
Effective 8/1/2014, the Florida Board of Nursing will not accept contact hours offered in tenth hour increments (example: 1.6 contact hours). Course contact hours will be rounded down to the nearest half hour (example: 1.6 contact hours becomes 1.5 contact hours, 1.4 contact hours becomes 1.0 contact hours). This course will be reported to CE Broker for FL RNs, LPNs, ARNPs, and CNSs as 9 hours.
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning (a Relias LLC company) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.