Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this course is to increase awareness of the role that protein-energy malnutrition plays in adult morbidity and mortality and to focus on the tasks required of the interprofessional team in preventing, diagnosing, and treating malnutrition. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe the 2012 Academy/A.S.P.E.N. international Consensus guidelines and six characteristics of adult disease-related malnutrition
- Discuss the risk factors for poor nutritional status and dehydration in older adults
- Explain the linear progression of malnutrition in adults
- Identify the physical symptoms of protein-energy and vitamin/mineral malnutrition
- Demonstrate how a nutrition assessment can decrease the incidence of malnutrition
- Propose tools and resources that can be used to reduce post-treatment malnutrition
- Formulate a plan to increase interprofessional collaboration that can improve care and outcomes
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning (a Relias LLC company) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.