Goal and Learning Outcomes
The purpose of this nursing leadership continuing education course is to inform nurses about the key elements of leadership, focusing particularly on skills that enable nurses to coordinate resources and achieve desired outcomes in patient care settings. These resources may be staff, technological or financial in nature. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe key aspects of the environment in which nurses assume leadership roles and functions, and how the climate influences care giving and management practices
- Depict the transitions that nurses make — either temporarily or permanently — from the role of caregiver to the role of leader or manager
- Identify supervisory practices that promote good performance, workforce commitment and professional satisfaction
- Identify key skills that nurses will want to develop to excel as leaders and managers — whether they are managers for the shift or managers in full-time management positions
- Describe important interpersonal and coaching skills, such as communication, delegation and feedback, that promote mutual respect and solid teamwork
- Discuss ways to evaluate outcomes at the end of your shift
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to control costs on your unit
Course Termination/ Update Date : 03/27/2018
Course Originally Released on : 01/01/2002
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.