Goal and Learning Outcomes
This course has been approved for 4 hours by the Commission on Case Manager Certification for 2014 and approved for 2 hours for 2015.
The purpose of this course is to provide nurses and respiratory therapists with information about arterial blood gas interpretation so they will interpret and manage ABG imbalances effectively. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between an acid and a base
- Identify two buffering systems within the body
- Define the basic components of an arterial blood gas report
- List the normal ABG parameters
- Discuss four common clinical problems that lead to respiratory imbalances
- Discuss four common clinical problems that lead to metabolic imbalances
- Explain the significance of left and right shifts on the oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve
- Identify four mechanisms of hypoxemia and how they are documented on arterial blood gas analysis
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning (a Relias LLC company) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.