Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this continuing education program is to update nurses’, physicians’, social workers’, and psychologists’ ability to identify and report child abuse. The completion of this module satisfies New York State’s two-hour, mandatory training requirement for healthcare professionals on the subject of child abuse. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Discuss how the history and physical examination of the child can be the key to differentiating between accidental and intentional injury
- Define what constitutes abuse, maltreatment, and neglect, and identify the corresponding physical and behavioral indicators
- Identify the information needed to give to Child Protective Services (CPS) when “reasonable cause to suspect abuse” is found and the initial call is reported
- List the physical and behavioral indicators of sexual abuse
- Describe what constitutes “reasonable cause to suspect” abuse and identify situations when healthcare professionals must report suspected cases
- Define the preventive-protective continuum of care used by New York’s CPS and what to do if there is more than one mandated reporter with “reasonable cause to suspect” abuse
- Describe how emotional abuse can affect children and their developmental growth
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.