Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this course is to provide advanced practice registered nurses in Florida with information about best practices in the prescribing of controlled substances, including safe and effective prescribing, administration, and dispensing of controlled substances to patients with conditions that are treated with these types of medications. After taking this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the advanced practice registered nurse’s scope of practice and regulatory factors for prescribing controlled substances in accordance with the § 464.012 and 456.44 F.S.
- Discuss the scheduled medication categories listed under the Controlled Substance Act and name at least three examples of each category.
- Describe components of patient evaluation and education necessary when controlled substances are prescribed.
- Discuss the rules surrounding Florida’s prescription drug monitoring program.
- Discuss the indications of short and long-term opioid therapy and other key elements for safe, effective management of acute and chronic pain.
- Discuss the problem of drug addiction as it relates to controlled substance use, including the prevalence, signs, and symptoms.
- Describe the pathology and appropriate prescribing for controlled substances for management of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, anxiety, testosterone hormone replacement, insomnia, and weight loss.
In support of improving patient care, Relias LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker. Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, Relias LLC will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.