Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this HIV/AIDS continuing education program is to update healthcare professionals’ knowledge of the care of patients with, and issues surrounding, HIV/AIDS and to meet the mandated requirement for continuing education in this area for licensure. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe basic medical and epidemiological information about HIV and relate the diseases and conditions it can cause
- Explain methods of transmission and prevention of HIV, and current recognized methods of medical treatment
- Summarize the management of HIV in the healthcare workplace and other working environments consistent with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Bloodborne Pathogens Standards
- Briefly describe the professional, ethical and legal standards applicable to a caregiver of a person with HIV
- Appraise the appropriate attitudes and behaviors of caregivers toward people infected with HIV
- Relate the comprehensive human services available to assist those living with HIV infection in the District of Columbia
- Explain ways in which different team members can work together with the patient to improve adherence
- Describe the risk and affect of HIV/AIDS on the general population, people of different ages and racial groups.
- Explain the use, risks and benefits of pre- and postexposure prophylaxis treatment
Peer reviewer Christine A Balt, DNP, FNP-BC, AACRN has disclosed she has received speaking fees from Gilead Sciences and ViiV Healthcare.
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.