Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this continuing education program is to help nurses, dietitians, dietary managers, pharmacists, physicians, and social workers to recognize depression and to identify supportive measures to help patients and their loved ones reduce the risk of suicide. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe the association between chronic medical conditions and the risk of depression and suicide.
- List three factors that make patients vulnerable to suicide.
- Differentiate among suicide attempts, gestures, threats, and ideation.
- Distinguish between mood and affect as they relate to the assessment for depression.
- List two core symptoms of major depression.
- Identify the difference between mood changes due to grief and those due to depression.
- Describe the clinician’s role in supporting patients with depression.
- Describe the ability of healthcare professionals to recognize and treat depression.
- Explain the function of psychotherapy in the treatment of depression.
- Identify one method healthcare professionals may use to examine personal attitudes about the stigma of depression and suicide.
- Describe two patient self-care treatment plan components.
- Identify two family education and support needs regarding depression.
In support of improving patient care, Relias LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker. Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, Relias LLC will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.