Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this continuing education module is to update nurses’ knowledge about the etiology, assessment, management and nursing care of pregnant patients with chronic medical conditions. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Discuss current medical management and nursing implications of heart disease in pregnancy
- Explain the criteria for using insulin to manage diabetes during pregnancy
- Describe two potential complications that may occur in a pregnant woman with congenital heart disease
- Compare the effects of pregnancy-induced hypertension and diabetic nephropathy on the management of pregnancy, labor and delivery
- Recognize indications that emerge from an assessment of a pregnancy complicated by sickle cell disease
- Describe at least one way in which thyroid disease complicates pregnancy
- Explain how autoimmune disorders complicate pregnancy
- Identify three goals of the antepartum management of clients with chronic medical conditions
Effective 8/1/2014, the Florida Board of Nursing will not accept contact hours offered in tenth hour increments (example: 1.6 contact hours). Course contact hours will be rounded down to the nearest half hour (example: 1.6 contact hours becomes 1.5 contact hours, 1.4 contact hours becomes 1 contact hour). This course will be reported to CE Broker for FL RNs, LPNs, ARNPs, and CNSs as 1.5 hours.
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning (a Relias LLC company) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.