Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this oncology continuing education course is to provide nurses with an overview of the concepts of cancer and a basic foundation in the nursing care of adult patients receiving chemotherapy. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Discuss three myths about cancer
- Identify two phases of cancer development
- List the three major forms of cancer treatment and whether their effects are local or systemic
- Define adjuvant chemotherapy
- Describe the rationale for combination chemotherapy and the schedule of administration requiring repeated administration of the drugs
- Identify three guidelines for the nurse administering chemotherapy IV
- Explain two important teaching points for patients receiving oral chemotherapy agents
- Describe a patient situation in which combination chemotherapy is being administered and list one point each for patient education specific to mucositis, alopecia and peripheral neurotoxicity
- Discuss two nursing interventions each for the patient experiencing neutropenia and thrombocytopenia
- Identify mechanisms of nausea and vomiting related to physiological causes and anticipatory anxiety
- Specify some important psychosocial concerns for adult patients receiving chemotherapy
Effective 8/1/2014, the Florida Board of Nursing will not accept contact hours offered in tenth hour increments (example: 1.6 contact hours). Course contact hours will be rounded down to the nearest half hour (example: 1.6 contact hours becomes 1.5 contact hours, 1.4 contact hours becomes 1.0 contact hours). This course will be reported to CE Broker for FL RNs, LPNs, ARNPs, and CNSs as 8 hours.
In support of improving patient care, OnCourse Learning (a Relias LLC company) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.