You are here:--Association exists between cannabis use and schizophrenia

Association exists between cannabis use and schizophrenia

Using cannabis or cannabinoids can effectively treat chronic pain as well as ease some of the side effects of chemotherapy. However, there also seems to be substantial evidence of an association between cannabis use and the development of schizophrenia, more frequent bouts of bronchitis and an increased risk of motor vehicle crashes, according to a report.

Those conclusions come from a report released Jan. 12 and developed by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine.

The report, “The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research,” contains nearly 100 conclusions related to the health effects of cannabis and cannabinoid use. Cannabis refers to the plant known as marijuana. Cannabinoid refers to medications that contain the chemicals found in the plant.

The researchers examined existing evidence among more than 10,000 studies related to beneficial, harmful or benign effects of cannabis, then listed whether the evidence was conclusive, substantial, moderate, limited or nonexistent.

The researchers examined studies dealing with the use of cannabis in health situations including cancer, respiratory disease, immune function, mental health, heart disease and pregnancy, among others.

The report is one “of the most comprehensive studies of recent research on the health effects of recreational and therapeutic cannabis use,” since 1999, according to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine.

At the time of the study, 28 states and Washington D.C. had legalized cannabis for medicinal usage, Marie McCormick, chair of the committee on the health effects of marijuana, wrote in the report. Eight of those states and Washington D.C. have also legalized cannabis for recreational usage, she wrote, adding “there is a clear need to establish what is known and what needs to be known about the health effects of cannabis use.”

“Having good research is essential so that we know how best we can use it, what are the safest ways, and what are the real risks,” Staci Gruber, said in an online article published Jan. 13 in Business Insider. Gruber is an associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and director of the Marijuana Investigations for Neuroscientific Discovery program at McLean Hospital.

Among the report’s conclusions are the following:

• Cannabis use before driving increases the risk of being involved in a motor vehicle accident.

• In adults with chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, oral cannabinoids can reduce those side effects.

• Adults with chronic pain treated with cannabis or cannabinoids likely will experience significantly fewer symptoms.

• Short-term use of oral cannabinoids in adults with multiple sclerosis relieve some of the symptoms of the disease.

• Long-term cannabis smoking could lead to chronic bronchitis.

• Smoking cannabis during pregnancy is linked to lower infant birth weight.

• A statistical association exists between cannabis use and the development of schizophrenia or other psychoses, with the highest risk among the most frequent users.

• Cannabis use likely does not increase the chance for developing depression, anxiety and posttraumatic stress disorder. However, those diagnosed with bipolar disorders who use cannabis daily may experience worsening symptoms of the disorder.

• Moderate evidence shows no link between smoking marijuana and lung cancer.

• No clear evidence exists on whether cannabis use is linked to heart attack, stroke or diabetes.

The report noted that more study is needed, but that some barriers make it difficult to conduct research. For example, researchers have difficulties gaining access to the quantity, quality and type of cannabis product necessary to address specific research questions on the health effects of cannabis use. The researchers suggested more funding be provided by governmental agencies to continue studies.

Click here for more information on treating cancer pain.

By | 2017-02-06T16:52:50+00:00 February 3rd, 2017|Categories: Nursing news|Tags: , , , , , |9 Comments

Sallie Jimenez
Sallie Jimenez is content manager for healthcare for Nurse.com published by OnCourse Learning. She develops and edits content for the Nurse.com blog, which covers industry news and trends in the nursing profession and healthcare. She also develops content for the Nurse.com Digital Editions. She has more than 22 years of healthcare journalism, content marketing and editing experience.

1. Jackson February 4, 2017 at 7:03 pm - Reply

Sallie, this is a very misleading headline. The conclusion in the report is that ” a statistical association exists between cannabis use and the development of schizophrenia or other psychoses, with the highest risk among the most frequent users.” This is not at all the same as your title “Cannabis Use Leads to Schizophrenia”. That aside, thanks for the post and the write up on the report. Very interesting!

• Sallie Jimenez
      Sallie Jimenez February 6, 2017 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Thank you, Jackson. I have updated the headline to one that is, hopefully, more accurate.

2. Elle February 13, 2017 at 2:14 am - Reply

As a nurse I am often asked if cannabis is helpful or harmful to the health of the pt. I work for the federal government and therefore cannot advocate the use of non-FDA approved therapies. I have stated that there are many health conditions that are greatly benefited by it’s use and if the pt feels that this is something they want to explore they need to talk to their doctor and research it more completely. All that aside, I have seen pt’s able to cope and manage pain and anxiety with the use of cannabis. Never smoked, but consumed through measured and deliberate amounts. When there is a pt with lung cancer metz to liver, kidney, bone and possibly brain the pain is insurmountable. The drugs used to treat the pain make a pt groggy and “out of it”, where as cannabis allows them the freedom from some of the pain and allows them the time with family and loved ones before they are gone. I have seen pt’s that have PTSD and cannot tolerate being in public, cannabis takes the edge off, offering an opportunity to work through the painful situations. My point is not every treatment is right for every pt. Whatever treatment plan the pt decided to go with needs to be researched and explored by the pt and health care professionals, not a plan that is given to the pt by the doctor and blindly followed. There is power in knowledge, and empowering pt’s is my job.

3. Paul Garnere February 13, 2017 at 11:05 pm - Reply

I’m somewhat confused by the resistance to cannabis. Alcohol and tobacco are documented to cause extreme health and societal issues, yet they both are legal. Can you explain why these harmful substances are treated differently. Thank you

4. Arlene Dennis March 28, 2017 at 12:06 am - Reply

I would like to know the future for newly retired RN of 40 years with critical care, ER,management and corporate nursing experience. I would like to keep hands in nursing but not in bedside care or home care. I realize a large amount of ambulatory clinics are utilizing Certified Medical Assistants in place of skill nursing in these settings.

5. Sharon Hills June 22, 2018 at 12:42 am - Reply

My Schizophrenia Testimony

I can’t forget in a hurry my horrible years of fight with Mental ailment (schizophrenia). Has anyone checked this blog out: schizophreniacures.blogspot.com . I’m pretty sure you will find it helpful (know more about Mental illnesses and the best way to deal with it). To anyone who’s taken the time to read this that may be struggling with this awful ailment (Schizophrenia), reach out, share, I guarantee if you reach out enough, people will reach back, and know, that as lonely as you may feel, as hopeless as you believe things are, please know, that there are so many of us out there going through same and you are never alone!

6. Cindy Moulton July 1, 2018 at 1:00 am - Reply

12YRS MENTAL ILLNESS CURED WITH HERBS: I am so happy sharing my eldest son’s story of Schizophrenia that almost ruins the family of its happiness. It is known now that there is permanent cure to schizophrenia, to those still in doubt of this, my son is a living witness. For 12yrs, my son suffered from schizophrenia, many investigations have since taken place to achieve a diagnosis, it came from nowhere. He can never sleep because of the voices and nightmares. He gets very lazy, stays in his room a lot, maybe it’s because has no friends. Suddenly, He became very paranoid, scared and thought there was someone out to kill us all. He would say so many unreal things like he can communicate with Albert Einstein. Yet, the worst of it all is that he would tell me that there is nothing wrong with him and that he doesn’t need any help or medication. My son was mentally gone for more than 12yrs. Hospital became my second home. I cry every day. I search and search for help everywhere possible but none was forth coming. Anyone who is not in my position would not understand what I went through, the heart break, the pain and how frustrated I was for 12 odd years. Countless number of times, he was arrested. There was a day he got arrested because he was trying to climb up to the neighbor’s house and spy on them. Believe me, it was hell. To cut the long story short, VEEMEON brought us breakthrough. To know more about this product, visit: cureforschizophrenia.blogspot.com. I am glad he is living a happy life.

7. Sharon Hills July 1, 2018 at 1:04 am - Reply

My Schizophrenia Testimony

I can’t forget in a hurry my horrible years of fight with Mental ailment (schizophrenia). Has anyone checked this blog out: cureforschizophrenia.blogspot.com I’m pretty sure you will find it helpful (know more about Mental illnesses and the best way to deal with it). To anyone who’s taken the time to read this that may be struggling with this awful ailment (Schizophrenia), reach out, share, I guarantee if you reach out enough, people will reach back, and know, that as lonely as you may feel, as hopeless as you believe things are, please know, that there are so many of us out there going through same and you are never alone!

8. Julia Bensinger October 14, 2018 at 2:04 am - Reply

BREAKTHROUGH STORY FROM SCHIZOPHRENIA

My name is Julia. I am a mother of two. I just want to share my experience with schizophrenia and how I got cured with Herbal medication. I was diagnosed in June 1997, My first symptoms ranges from mood swings to hallucination, odd voices asking me to do so many wrongs things, yeah, Schizophrenia caused me so much pains that I almost took my life but Hope kept me going until the day I stumbled on this blog; curefromschizophrenia.blogspot.com. I knew very little about Schizophrenia and there is no history of it in my family. I struggled with it for years, my life was filled with ups and downs, though I never thought a day like this would come but I it feels good using my experience in a positive manner to advocate for better services for users of HIPPOSIMA herbal medication. Don’t lose hope, believe in yourself, soon you will smile. Feel free to write me for further information. you can also reach the Dr. via the email address on the blog. I wish you best of luck.