You are here:----5 life lessons that apply to wound care

5 life lessons that apply to wound care

Maria Morales, RN

By Maria Morales, MSN, RN, CPAN

When I think about wound care, I recall a nursing instructor talking about the concept of how there were 101 ways to perform a dressing change. As a nursing student, I wanted to know exactly how to perform my next dressing change correctly — 101 ways didn’t seem to answer my question at the moment.

But my instructor challenged that if we learn the process and critical thinking behind a dressing change — sterile or clean, simple or advanced — we can apply that knowledge to the various kinds of wounds we may encounter in nursing. Now, years later into my practice, I constantly am reminded of what my instructor’s lesson: Learn how to think, not just how to task.

That’s good advice. Not just in nursing, but in life in general. That got me thinking about other lessons in life that can be applied to wound care. Watch this video to learn 5 more lessons, and then tell us what wound care practices you follow!

Your turn

Which of these wound care tips do you find helpful? Have you seen knowledge gaps in wound care where you work? Take this quick survey and then stay tuned for the results!

About the author

Maria Morales, MSN, RN, CPAN, is clinical director of healthcare CE programs at Nurse.com.

By | 2020-04-06T10:53:12-04:00 October 22nd, 2015|Categories: Education|7 Comments

Barry Bottino
Barry Bottino is a freelance writer and editor who has more than 25 years of experience at various newspapers and magazines.

Louise October 25, 2015 at 2:46 am - Reply

I am not able to have a coworker help as Home Health care does not allow that, but we always teach family or the client how to do their dressing as well as how to assess it as we go.

Diane October 28, 2015 at 3:38 am - Reply

I always encourage Vit C and protein as first food choices for patients to concentrate on. Amino acids need C th help make new tissue
    They seem to appreciate the concrete diet advice.

Mike OwenLPN, WCC October 29, 2015 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Teamwork is key, there is nothing better than a partner that can read your mind and you theirs. Doesn’t always happen, but when I get a partner to help out, it makes my day.

Debra Beauchaine, MN, NP, CWOCN-AP November 15, 2015 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Bravo!!

Lynn Noyce, WCC November 15, 2015 at 8:20 pm - Reply

I like the tip about nutrition best. Concrete nutritional advice empowers the patient that s/he can do something to speed up the healing process.

I recommend adding a tip to add about assessing for signs of infection. A surgeon told me early in my career that “the periwound tells the story” so in my assessment, I fold a sterile gauze pad over the wound bed only to block my view of it so I can really study the condition of the wound margins and skin around the wound.

susan sullivan November 16, 2015 at 7:08 pm - Reply

I am a school nurse and every day I tell children who have cuts, scrapes, abrasions to make sure to keep this covered and use something on the wound to help it stay moist.
    Even when they sleep.
    They come back a couple of days later with scabs really thick, cracking and bleeding. That is why they come back. It’s bleeding.
    I say the same thing again. I even go through the healing with them. How the skin grows. all of the amazing information I received from a nurse friend who became a wound care specialist.
    It is soooo ingrained in people.

Felipe Felipe November 18, 2018 at 12:03 am - Reply