How can I change my probation officer?

By | 2021-05-07T16:31:23-04:00 August 3rd, 2015|2 Comments

Dear Nancy,

I am on probation and want to change the probation officer to whom I report. How can I do so when each time I ask, my question is ignored?


Dear Jean,

It is difficult to respond to your question without more details. However, some general comments can be made.

It is not known why you are on probation, but there may be some prohibition in your state’s criminal justice procedures regarding changing a probation officer due to the type of crime committed. If there is no prohibition, there may be procedures in place for you to make such a change. Finding this out might be difficult on your own, but if you had a lawyer represent you during the criminal proceedings, he may be able to provide you with the information and then help you make the change.

If you did not have legal representation, you might consider consulting with a nurse attorney or other attorney in your state who can provide you with this information and represent you. The attorney would have to concentrate his practice in criminal law.

If changing probation officers is possible, it may be that there is a specific manner in which you must request the change. As an example, an oral request may not be possible. Rather, a written request, with specified information supplied with the request, may be the only way the request can be considered.

If nothing can be done to change your probation officer, you may need to simply deal with the situation, however difficult and unfair it may be. Remember, probation is a way to stay out of jail or prison (if granted in lieu of jail by a court) or it is a continuation of oversight for a period of time after having been released from jail or prison. What’s important is that you want to continue to stay out of jail or prison and you want to continue your probation to its successful conclusion.

Sincerely, Nancy


Discover how can help you find your next dream job.
Just sign up and wait to be paired with your perfect match.

About the Author:

Nancy J. Brent, MS, JD, RN
Our legal information columnist Nancy J. Brent, MS, JD, RN, received her Juris Doctor from Loyola University Chicago School of Law and concentrates her solo law practice in health law and legal representation, consultation and education for healthcare professionals, school of nursing faculty and healthcare delivery facilities. Brent has conducted many seminars on legal issues in nursing and healthcare delivery across the country and has published extensively in the area of law and nursing practice. She brings more than 30 years of experience to her role of legal information columnist. Her posts are designed for educational purposes only and are not to be taken as specific legal or other advice. Individuals who need advice on a specific incident or work situation should contact a nurse attorney or attorney in their state. Visit The American Association of Nurse Attorneys website to search its attorney referral database by state.


  1. Avatar
    Pagie September 26, 2016 at 9:20 pm - Reply

    I am confident that I was wrongfully dismissed from my graduate nursing program. I received no warning of unsatisfactory clinical performance. I was called on a Sunday to meet with clinical coordinator the next morning before returning to clinical. When I walked into the meeting there were 5 people present. 2 of them unrelated to the clinical component but were administrators in the school of nursing. I was asked to explain an evaluation from the week before- which I was unaware of. The person who wrote the eval didn’t give me negative feedback or discuss any evaluation with me. The program director placed the evaluation in my lap. It was full of subjective information- but no objective information. I was so shocked I had difficulty reading the 2 page evaluation and forming a defense against it. I stuttered my way through trying to explain all the subjective accusations. after about 20-30 minutes of back and forth, I was dismissed. 2 years and 200,000 down the drain and with 3 months till graduation. I have an attorney who has just begun working on it. However- he is unfamiliar with educational law and medical law. What direction can I take at this time!! Please help!

    • Sallie Jimenez
      Sallie Jimenez December 22, 2016 at 8:32 pm - Reply

      Please send your question to Legal blogger Nancy Brent, MS, JD, RN, at [email protected]. Thank you for your question.

Leave A Comment