You are here:-, General, Nursing careers and jobs-How can a retired RN get a part-time nonclinical work-at-home position?

How can a retired RN get a part-time nonclinical work-at-home position?

Dear Donna,

I am a retired RN from an acute care setting, who wants a part-time nonclinical work-at-home position with an insurance company. I have basic computer skills and a working automobile. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about getting this type of job?

Wants to Work from Home

Dear Wants to Work from Home,

Start making phone calls to any health insurance companies and HMOs, both large and small. Call even if the main office for one of the companies is not near you, because they may employ work-from-home nurses located throughout the country. Ask to speak to the nurse recruiter or other human resource professional. Advise them of your acute care background and that you are seeking a home-based position. Don’t mention part-time right away. See what their response is and what they have available. Try to at least get into their prospective employee database if no jobs are available when you contact them.

Start attending nursing career fairs in your area. Insurance companies often exhibit at these events. You’ll be able to present yourself in person, which is the most powerful way to make a connection as opposed to phone or electronic communication.  Read “How to get the most out of attending a career fair”.

Contact some nursing agencies that do nontraditional placement (other than hospital staffing). Let them know what you are looking for in a job. They often get part-time and temp positions, sometimes for insurance or related work. This a great way to gain relevant experience and get a foot in the door somewhere since agency work often turns into regular employment if that is what you are seeking.

It also would be wise to attend local chapter meetings as a guest for now of related associations such as the Case Management Society of America and the American Association of Managed Care Nurses. Networking is a very effective way to find out about opportunities and get interviews. Plus, when there’s something you want to do it makes sense to rub elbows with those currently doing it.

Best wishes,
Donna

By | 2015-07-10T14:17:01+00:00 July 10th, 2015|Categories: Blogs, General, Nursing careers and jobs|20 Comments

Donna Cardillo
Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, CSP, is president of DonnaCardillo.com. Known as The Inspiration Nurse, she is a keynote speaker, retreat and seminar leader, and author of "Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional" and "The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career." She brings more than 25 years of clinical, management and business experience to her role as career guru.

1. Evelyn February 5, 2017 at 1:58 pm - Reply

Interesting,i find your article quite helpful.

2. Linda Marrs RN February 13, 2017 at 7:10 am - Reply

Looking for a QAPI part time RN

3. FRANCES NELSON, R.N. February 24, 2017 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Thank you for the article. I let my nursing license be placed on retired status and was wondering if there is a way to be reinstated, or if one must have an active license to perform “at home” jobs. My background is versitle–Started as a floor nurse in a med-surg unit and then worked part time for that Medical Center while I worked as a Patient Care Coordinator for a Hospice. My husband was in the service and we moved every few years. I was also a Director of Nursing, worked in Day Surgery for Baylor for years and also in Recovery Room and GI Lab. Most of my career was as a Hospice Nurse, and I had a small Residential care home. My real love was Hospice and I was a case manager for many years. I didn’t fulfill my dream of being a nurse until I was 45 years of age. I worked for 28 full-time years and loved every minute of it. I am now partially disabled due to a auto-immune condition which eliminates the possibility of a knee replacement that I badly need.I cannot stand being retired but haven’t been able to come up with a job as a solution. Can you give me any suggestions? I appreciate the help. Frances Nelson, R.N.

4. Dee Krohn March 31, 2017 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Hello:

I am currently working as a school nurse for early morning and after school children. I am currently looking for a weekend job, (not hands on clinical) to help pay for my health insurance which is very high. I have been a nurse now for 10 years (which is my second career) experienced in supervisory working in med surg; sub-acute rehab; long-term and dementia. I am experienced in many fields and would also welcome the opportunity to educate myself further. Thank you for your help.

5. Bonnie Short April 21, 2017 at 1:32 pm - Reply

I am a 64 yr. old semi-retired RN that has worked med-surg, oncology and cardiovascular. I have not worked in one and a half years as I had some family issues that became to overwhelming to continue working so many long hours. I also have a 7 yr old son I adopted and he has severe ADHD so I needed to dedicate more time to his issues. I miss nursing like crazy and want very much to work part-time at home or in the clinical setting outside the hospital. Any nurse with questions regarding lapse license should email the state board they will give you all the information you need and they will reply immediately. Thanks for listening?

6. Diane June 10, 2017 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Two great prn jobs for semi-retired nurses are biometric screening clinics and flu shot clinics. Schedules are very flexible, and this works especially well if you live in a state that requires practice hours to renew your license.

7. Stephanie Braun June 28, 2017 at 8:11 pm - Reply

I work for Bliss Healthcare in Cleveland. We are looking for a retired RN that would like to work from home. You can call us at 216-334-0019 and ask to speak with Chris or Stephanie.

• Aimee Von Essen October 15, 2017 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Hi,

Is this position still available? Thanks!

8. Cathy Dorus July 12, 2017 at 7:24 pm - Reply

Retired RN Worked healthcare 35 years. I started as nurse’s aide, to LPN, to RN. Do not want “hands on ” nursing anymore. I dont bend/stoop, lift too well, otherwise am mobile. I have a menial part time retail job. I know with my education I am worth more. Want someting in Mahoning/ Trumbull Co area only or of course working at home would be ideal. Thank you for consideration of employment.

9. Linda Martin August 14, 2017 at 5:33 pm - Reply

I am a retired still licensed RN and Certified Case Manager. I have worked for some of the largest insurance carriers and medical management companies in the world. I have exhausted my abilities to secure a part time work from home position though I have a home office with years of experience. Any ideas? I have workerscomp, disability, FMLA, QA, and UR experience. I have done all I know to do other than beg for a position working part time from home from many of them. Any ideas? I have been retired since 2013.

10. Kacy White August 15, 2017 at 9:49 pm - Reply

I worked 25 years in all areas as an RN. I no longer keep an active license and need a work from home job due to my broken back and sacrum.
    I also worked as the medical analyst for a personal injury attorney!
    Does anyone know where I might find a home based job?
    Many thanks to my sister nurses! Kacy white (bs RN )

11. Marie LeClair August 30, 2017 at 5:49 pm - Reply

This was helpful, but I’m not sure where to start looking for an “at home”, or Telehealth job. I did not see a career seminar near me. Any ideas that would help?

12. Margie Lydiksen November 14, 2017 at 4:02 pm - Reply

I am a retired RN with no active license for 17 years but kept up on CEU courses every year. My patients and love is for hospice,Dementia and Alzheimer patients.
    What position could I apply in a homecare agency?
    I love nursing and miss it a great deal.I am on excellent health.on mo medications. A self starter with excellent assessing skills. Thank you and hope for a response.

13. Linda McClure December 2, 2017 at 4:19 pm - Reply

I am a retired RN previously disabled due to an MVA 9 years ago. I would like to return to a stay @ home & work environment as I no longer own a vehicle. I have 35+ years experience as an RN in areas of pediatrics, medical-surgical, ICU, & CCU scenarios. I think that it is a shame to ‘let a good mind go to waste’

14. Evelet Green December 11, 2017 at 6:45 am - Reply

RN (BSN) with 30+ years experience. Licensed in 2 states, retired almost 2 years now. Worked in telemetry unit prior to the last 17 years as supervisor in a skilled health care facility. I can do “hands on” care but would prefer a non clinical part-time position preferably working from home, but is available to work outside of the home.

15. Benson Ma January 17, 2018 at 7:26 pm - Reply

Hello! Any RN’s with an Active California License, residing in Southern California who may be interested in a volunteer support role for blood drives- please contact me. We are looking for retired RN professionals who would like to volunteer with American Red Cross in Biomedical Services. There are no regulated duties such as blood draws; it’s a support/supervisory role for our blood drives. If you would like to learn more, please email me.
    Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

16. Denise June 16, 2018 at 2:22 pm - Reply

I have been searching everywhere on line for a part time position I might be able to do. I am a 57 year old RN (ADN) with > 20 years in Pediatric acute care hospital. (all I ever wanted was to be a bedside nurse) started as a CNA in the 80’s then LPN to RN
    I injured my arm almost 2 years ago. now left hand is disabled. UNUM LTD is a terrible company and they are threatening to reduce my <50% of my income disability payment.

I have no fine motor dexterity of my left hand, very little strength and inability to apply pressure with that hand(I am right handed so that is a blessing) I cannot perform effective CPR which is a huge hindrance to finding anything I might be able to do.

Does anyone know of any type home work or otherwise that is a non clinical?

17. RANDAL DEFATTA August 24, 2018 at 12:12 am - Reply

I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF EMPLOYMENT, I HAVE RETIRED IN 2005 (ABOUT) & HAVE BEEN THROUGH MUCH REAL TRAUMA. TO EXPLAIN SADLY BUT TRUTHFULLY::: IN 2016 WE WENT THROUGH THE 1000 YEAR FLOOD IN SOUTH LA. WE LOST===EVERYTHING==- WE EVER OWNED & WORKED FOR ETC, HOUSE, CONTENTS, CARS FURNITURE, CLOTHES, =INCOME PRODUCING PROPERTY (OUR SUPPLEMENTAL INCOME) & ALL CASH IN BANK TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH OBLIGATIONS. IT HAS BEEN 2 YEARS, NO CAR, NO INCOME EXCEPY SOCIAL SECURITY, MY NURSES LICENSE WAS PUT ON HOLD BECAUSE IT WAS DUE IN BETWEEN ALL THIS TRAUMA & I WAS NOT ABLE TO RENEW. I JUST NEED TO CATCH UP ON CEU”S. I WAS NOT WORKING BEFORE THE FLOOD, DID NOT NEED TO WORK. AFTER THE TRAGEDY I HAVE NO CHOICE. I KEPT MY NURSES LICENSE CURRENT,.

1972-1976
    I HAVE A HEAVY BACKGROUND!! SPECILIZED SURGICAL NURSE IST ASSISTANGT IN SURGERY. WORKED FOR OCHSNER MEDCICAL FOUNDATION, DR, JOHN OCHSNER HIMSELF IN CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY NEW ORLEANS,LA & SOUTHWAST CARDIOVASCULAR GROUP DRS. MICHACEL GALLAGHER & RAUL GARCIA HOUSTON, TEXAS. MOST IMPORTANTLY===I WAS ACCEPTED AT FONDREN BROWN CARDIOVASCULAR GROUP IN HOUSTON WHICH WAS FOR==DR.MICHAEL DEBACKY”S GROUP. I HAD ALREADY ACCEPTED A JOB WITH THE SOUTHWAST GROUP & HAD TO DECLINE..WHAT AN HONOR THO TO BE ACCEPTED INTO DR. DEBAKEY GROUP.
    MY JOB WITH GARCIA ENTAILED GOING TO SAN JUAN ONE A MONTH TO SEE PATIENTS & TO OPERATE ON MINOR CASES WHILE THERE.

. I HAD TO RETIRE FROM SURGERY IN 1976 DUE TO BACK SURGERY & WAS NOT ABLE TO STAND AT THE OPERATING TABLE FOR HOURS. I WAS ALWAYS INTERESTED IN MEDICAL LAW SO I APPLIES WITH A LARGE (88 ATTORNYS) INSURANCE DEFENSE FIRM HIRSCH, GLOVER ROBINSON & SCHINESS WERE I SPENT OVER 10 YRS. THE DUTIES THERE WERE TREMENDOUS NOT ONLY REVIEWWING MEDICAL RECORDS BUT PROOF
    FROM THE MEDICAL,, ASPECT OF THE CASE FOR THE ATTORNEY TO TAKE TO TRIAL. TO PUT IT EXACTLY IT WAS TO====”” FIND BULLETS FOR THE ATTORNEY TO FIRE & WIN HIS CASE.”””====.

RETIRED FROM THERE IN 2005 & LIVED GOOD UNTIL THE DISASTER HIT US. SINCE 2016 I AM STILL NOT ABLE TO BUY A CAR & WE ARE NOT YET BACK IN OUR HOUSE, THAT’S ANOTHER CHAPTER. I’LL JUST SAY THE 1ST CONTRACTOR GOT AWAY WITH $30000 INSURANCE MONEY SO WE ARE “””STUCK””” STILL IN A FEMA TRAILER UNTIL THE END OF THIS MONTH.

ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THS REPORT CAN BE PROVED PER YOUR REQUEST.

I NEED A JOB I AM STILL VERY KNOWLEDGABLE, I HAVE GOOD,& SOUND MIND & WOULD POINT OUT THAT MICHAEL DEBAKY, THE WORLD FAMOUS HEART SURGERON WAS 100 YEAES WHEN HE PASSED & WAS STILL ACTIVE

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

RANDAL DEFATTA.

18. BARBARA JEAN MASCUCH October 15, 2018 at 6:43 pm - Reply

I AM A RETIRED RN. WELL, RETIRED TWICE. CAME TO FLORIDA LAST YEAR AND FELL FROM MY BIKE, BROKE MY ARM AND BACK. I WORKED HOME HEALTH, MED-SURG AND TRAUMA FOR 30 YEARS. MY LAST JOB WITH IN ALZHIEMER’S UNIT FOR 5 YEARS. I WOULD LIKE A PART TIME JOB EITHER FROM HOME OR VERY LITTLE DRIVING TO MAYBE, A NURSING HOME. . I AM PHYSICALLY ABLE TO WORK BUT NOT FOR LONG HOURS. ANY SUGGESTIONS. IN PROCESS OF OBTAINING MY NURSING LICENSE FROM FLORIDA.