Despite its rewards, there’s no doubt that nursing is at times challenging, frustrating and just plain old hard.
When you’re feeling that way, one powerful thing you can do is reflect on the moments that make it all worthwhile. When we stop and think about all that we gain from being a nurse, we remember, “This is why I do it.”
Having a tough day? Read this list of reasons to be glad you’re a nurse. Pick your favorites. Add more in the comments below. And smile.
25 reasons to be glad you’re a nurse
- Making a patient smile
- Being there for a patient when they cry
- Days off!
- Getting to see a patient go home
- Seeing a new nurse’s light bulb go off when they make a connection
- Cards from patients and families
- Being requested by a patient
- Taking a patient’s pain away
- Touching a patient’s life
- Professional opportunity
- Challenges that make you rise to new levels
- Time management skills
- Critical thinking skills
- When a patient holds your hand
- Medical and nursing knowledge
- Working with a brilliant, talented team
- Overtime pay!
- Helping someone understand their disease
- Knowing how to navigate the healthcare system
- Having the ability to triage yourself
- Having the ability to triage your family
- Being able to advocate for a patient
- Learning something new every day
- Having the privilege of bringing a new life into the world
- Having the privilege of helping a life leave the world peacefully
What makes you thankful to be a nurse? Tell us in the comments section below, and encourage other nurses to keep smiling!