You are here:-, Nursing careers and jobs-How can RN check on problems in high crime areas?

How can RN check on problems in high crime areas?

Dear Donna,

For my home care job, I have to go alone into large apartment buildings in high-crime areas. Are there sources I can check to see if any home healthcare workers encountered problems in certain areas?

Works in High-crime Area.

Dear Works in High-crime Area,

If your home care agency doesn’t have this information, check with your local police department or one in an area where you are considering working to see if they have anecdotal data to share even if they do not have an actual crime report. Many home care agencies that serve high-crime areas have escorts that accompany the home care workers in the field.

Of course, your best sources of information on something like this would be other nurses who work in the area causing concern. You can use social media to get information by posting a question and contacting local chapters of related associations. You might consider contacting the Home Healthcare Nurses Association and the National Association for Homecare & Hospice.

Best Wishes,


By | 2015-09-25T21:03:56-04:00 May 20th, 2015|Categories: Blogs, Nursing careers and jobs|0 Comments

About the Author:

Donna Cardillo
Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, CSP, is president of Known as The Inspiration Nurse, she is a keynote speaker, retreat and seminar leader, and author of "Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional" and "The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career." She brings more than 25 years of clinical, management and business experience to her role as career guru.

Leave A Comment