Is a soon-to-be retired librarian, who is 65 years old, too old to go to nursing school?

By | 2021-05-28T17:41:40-04:00 January 28th, 2015|8 Comments

I am a healthy, active woman who will be 65 years old next month. I am retiring after 18 years as a librarian. I have thought about nursing since I was young but for many reasons did not pursue that career. I now have the opportunity to do so.

I have found very little on the subject when searching online. Do you have any suggestions for resources that provide guidance, information or support for achieving my goal?

Librarian Who Wants To Be A Nurse

Dear Donna replies:

Dear Librarian Who Wants To Be A Nurse,

The oldest student nurse I have met to date was 70 years old. There are many women and men like yourself coming into the profession after retiring from another career or two. With everyone living and working longer these days, you’re never too old to start a career in nursing. One is surely never too old to follow her dreams. The profession of nursing offers more varied opportunities today than ever before. I say don’t think about it any longer, just do it. And just for the record, I have known several other librarians who also became nurses.

Best wishes,
Donna

WHAT’S NEW AT NURSE.COM

Nurse.com Job Seeker

Discover how Nurse.com can help you find your next dream job.
Just sign up and wait to be paired with your perfect match.

Rosie March 8, 2019 at 9:37 pm - Reply

I’ll be graduating nursing school this year at 58 years old

Constance Petro June 26, 2019 at 12:19 am - Reply

I am 64 and Graduating as an LVN next month. Job offers abound. A.Student…So glad I took this opportunity. RN.bridge program while working-ADN. Then on.line B SN at my own pace..Nurses never retire unless they want to. Severe shortage of Nurses – No one has an issue with my age –

Arturo Trop January 5, 2022 at 3:03 am - Reply

Hi Constance
      I am a 55 year old male contemplating a career change into nursing. I would love to hear your words of advice now that you have experience entering the profession as an older adult. Did you encounter any ageism and challenges with the workload? How have you adjusted into your new career?

Ed February 2, 2022 at 2:44 pm - Reply

I am 66 and started back to Nursing at the start of Covid (after retaking and passing NCLEX) and while I have found work, I have been rejected from no less than four jobs, it seems, directly because of my age. I am healthy, take no medications and can pretty much do physically, what I have done my entire life. I was more qualified than the people eventually hired and would have brought broad experience to the positions. My only thought is that, at least in my world, discrimination remains both at the recruiter level and at interviews, even where there is desperation for staff. I hope you have better luck.

Nurse Registry May 7, 2022 at 12:03 am - Reply

Join a nurse registry like Clipboard Health. Pick your shifts. Work all over and gain experience. Registry pays higher than normal wages and you work when you want to.

Sone May 14, 2022 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Greetings,
      I’m a 66 year old LVN just completing my prerequisites for the LVN / RN bridge program, if all goes as planned I should be Don by y the time I’m 69. I am searching for encouragement and advice from other seniors who are in or have been in the same position. Becoming an RN has always been a dream of mine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sone

Brian Callahan February 6, 2022 at 7:39 pm - Reply

I am 65, have a Ba from University of Illinois in Sociology and Phycology.
    Can I become a nurse?

Julia February 9, 2022 at 5:09 pm - Reply

I’m 61 and graduating LPN this May!