You are here:-, Nursing Careers and Jobs-I rescinded my resignation after being hurt on the job, and want to know how to get an answer about my employment status at this facility?

I rescinded my resignation after being hurt on the job, and want to know how to get an answer about my employment status at this facility?


Dear Donna,

I was working on a unit for more than three years but decided one day to e-mail my manager my two-week notice, resigning from my job. He requested I send in the formal resignation, which meant in a printed letter, but I did not do it. I got hurt the week before my resignation date so I went to my manager and told him I injured myself and no longer wanted to resign. As he requested, I gave him a letter and an email regarding the retraction of
my resignation.

Fo two to three weeks I was being treated with medication and therapy through worker’s compensation, and at the same time, I was reporting to work on light duty. All this time, I presumed my position still is available.

One day the manager informed me by phone that human resources told him I was no longer employed as my position is no longer there.

I have not received any communication from human resources or my manager saying anything about my letter rescinding my resignation. My question is what should I do since the manager and human resources department cannot seem to coordinate their act?

I have emailed back and forth with my manager regarding schedules of modified duty, presuming I have the rights and privileges as an employee having worked for the company for almost five years.

Employed or Not Employed – That is the Question

Dear Donna replies:

Dear Employed or Not Employed – That is the Question,

For starters, start making phone calls to your manager and the human resources department rather than relying on e-mail communication. E-mail is informal communication and often holds less weight (gets less attention) than phone calls, depending on the situation. If necessary, make an appointment to go in and speak to your manager or someone in HR in person.

If you still can’t get the matter quickly resolved or if it is too late for this step, you should consider consulting a nurse attorney to help you. This is especially important if you have a work-related injury. Find a nurse attorney by asking other nurses, getting a referral from your state chapter of the American Nurses Association ( even if you’re not a member, or through The American Association of Nurse Attorneys (

You also should check with your state labor board by looking for them online to see if any of your rights were violated and if you are entitled to vocational rehab services, etc. If you already have a worker’s compensation counselor/contact through the DOL, check with that person.

Best wishes,


By | 2013-11-08T00:00:00-05:00 November 8th, 2013|Categories: Blogs, Nursing Careers and Jobs|0 Comments

About the Author:


Leave A Comment