By: Phyllis Class, RN, Executive Director, Allied Health CE at Gannett Education
From the peaks of Mount Everest to the desert sands of the United Arab Emirates, nurses on the Gannett Golden Triangle and Ranthambore Tour (with pre and post tours to Nepal and Dubai) were treated to a kaleidoscope of different textures and cultures.
Talk about contrasts. On the same day in Agra, India, we visited both the humble Mother Teresa Missionaries of Charities orphanage and the majestic Taj Mahal. We watched people washing clothes at wells in India’s countryside, then visited a hospital with electronic medical records. We learned that malaria, tuberculosis, and leprosy are endemic to India, yet rates of diabetes are skyrocketing due to westernization in urban areas.
Despite these contrasts, Indian nurses appear to have the same issues as American nurses: stress and dealing with physicians’ behavior, to name a few. At one hospital, we heard familiar buzz words like critical thinking and learned that yoga classes are held for nurses’ stress relief. Although the private hospitals we visited look much like ours in the U.S., we observed some differences. For example, we saw visitors removing their shoes before entering the ICU. OTs are operating theatres, not occupational therapists. HDUs or high dependency units are their term for stepdown units.
In addition to visits to Max Healthcare in Delhi and Fortis Escorts Hospital in Jaipur, speaker Susanne Pavlovich-Danis lectured us on diabetes, DVT, drug seeking behavior and working with people with different personalities.
Other trip highlights included:
- Plane ride to see Mount Everest in Nepal
- Rickshaw ride through the narrow, bustling alleys of Old Delhi
- Visits to Buddhist and Hindu temples and mosques in Nepal, India and the UAE
- Visit to Ranthambore Tiger Reserve where one group saw a tiger
- Bollywood film crew filming at our hotel
- In Dubai, the tallest building in the world
- Visit to a cultural center, where we were served a traditional breakfast of dates, cardamom and saffron coffee, chick peas and pancakes with date syrup
- An evening in the desert including dune bashing (a roller coaster ride in the sand), sunset, camel rides and a traditional meal under the stars
For more information about Gannett study tours.