Continuing a tradition that began in 1992, Sigma Theta Tau International’s Gamma Beta Chapter at Howard University, Washington, D.C., hosted the region’s 100 Extra Ordinary Nurses Recognition Program May 2.
This year’s event, which took place at the Blackburn Center on Howard’s main campus, was the 20th anniversary of the recognition program. The idea for the recognition program was conceived two decades ago by Barbara Jeffers Patterson, RN, MA, and Beatrice Adderley-Kelly, RN, PhD.
A group of 100 RNs were recognized for their contributions to the nursing profession and to their patients throughout the region.
This year, winners from 26 hospitals, schools of nursing or healthcare organizations were honored, including:
• Amedisys Home Health, Forest Hill, Md.: Diana Wharton.
• Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, D.C.: Sylvia Evans.
• Department of Commerce Health Unit, Washington, D.C.: Jane Ovedovitz.
• Department of Health, Health Regulations and Licensing Administration, Washington, D.C.: Tamara Freeman.
• District of Columbia Department of Health, Washington, D.C.: Veronica S. Longstreth.The annual program first celebrated nurses in the region in 1992.
• Federal Occupational Health, Washington, D.C.: Juanita Flood, Carlita Merritt and Melinda Valentin.
• U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, Md.: Sonia Swayze.
• Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C.: Lyndsay Anderson, Marissa Coscolluela, Katie Deily, Janet Elbalghiti, Kristin Gannon, Kimberly Groner, Brigitte Hall, Shaina Holt, Tracy Hurlbutt, Lauren Inouye, Susan Lach, Lauren Main, Jessica McBride, Danielle McCarney, Lena Mikulak, Hilary Poan, Christine Rossi, Andrella Smith, Cindy Solomon, Jessica Starr, Elizabeth Starrels, Laura Toews, Christina Urso, Anna Weijers-Farrar and Judy Westcott.
• Holy Cross Hospital, Silver Spring, Md.: Leola Saucier and Cynthia Singleton.
• Homeland Security, Washington, D.C.: Lisa Grandy.RNs from 26 hospitals, schools of nursing and healthcare organizations were honored this year.
• Howard University Center for Clinical Research, Washington, D.C.: Florence Babalola.
• Howard University Hospital, Washington, D.C.: Adetutu Aina, Jeffrey A. Bolton, Donna Burnett, Schallery Colbert, Teka Henderson, Maribel Lim, Beverley Wagstaffe, Adebayo Arowolaju II and Jacquelyn Billingslea.
• Howard University, Division of Nursing, Washington, D.C.: Susan Schwartzman and Melanie Wells.
• National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md.: Tatyana Worthy.
• National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md.: Julia Ogorji.
• National Rehabilitation Hospital, Washington, D.C.: Alice Banaci, Delphine Ben, Lynette Harris, Amy Kalinoski-Murphy, Arlene Pascall, Sandra Powell and Clydette Wilkerson-Roberts.
• Precision Nursing Services Inc., Bowie, Md.: Andrea Johnson.
• Professional Healthcare Resources, Annandale, Va.: Janet Branch, Erin Funderburg, Marjorie Gordon.
• Providence Hospital, Washington, D.C.: Alicia Baker and Michaele Johnson.
• Retired: Kathy Senior.
• Suburban Hospital, Bethesda, Md.: Zandro Tejada.
• University of the District of Columbia, Washington, D.C.: Linda Hinnant and Isu Ahaghotu.
• Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, Md.: Sandra Bibb.
• University Specialty Hospital, Baltimore: Patricia Kpolie.
• VA Medical Center, Washington, D.C.: Fazalit Ali, Landis Bradfield, Catherine Davelli, Kim Gaeok, Dorothy Gresham, Donnette Hutchinson, Rose Myles, Rudolph Randolph, Provati Rozario, Karen Rucker, Michelle Ward, Ayanna Thomas, Nana Asiedu, Ruthanne Burris, Bukky Daramola, Carlos DelaCruz, Yvette Macklin, Diona Martyn and Lisa Williams.
• Washington Adventist Hospital, Takoma Park, Md.: Laura DeFreitas, Emilienne Longkeng and Lorne Joy Rowe.
• Washington (D.C.) Hospital Center: Ethlyn Cowan-Grant, Margaret Etukeni, Annie Hedd, Felicia Olusoga, Ifeoma Onyeiwu, Binu Philip, Graciela Rodriguez-Santos and Vanessa Wilkerson.