Former nurses, patients, staff and Emeritus Board members from Children’s National Medical Center joined current hospital leaders Nov. 3 at the corner of 13th and G Streets, NW, to dedicate a historical plaque near the original location of the hospital, first opened in 1870.
Children’s National has grown from a 12-bed row house in the heart of Washington, D.C., to a healthcare institution that includes the hospital, as well as primary and specialty care locations throughout the metropolitan area that serve local, national, and international patients, said Edwin K. Zechman Jr., the medical centers president and CEO, in a news release.
We grew from these humble beginnings to a comprehensive medical center that last year performed more than 15,000 surgeries and saw more than 370,000 outpatient specialty care visits.Among the attendees at the plaque dedication were Mary Madson, at left, a student nurse at Children’s National Medical Center in the 1940s during the polio epidemic and Grace Hosker, a former patient.
The hospital moved to 13th and W Streets, NW, in 1875 and then to its current location on Michigan Avenue, NW, in 1977.
Today, Children’s National also is home to several research institutes, including the Children’s Research Institute, the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, the Children’s National Heart Institute, the Gilbert Family Neurofibromatosis Institute, the Brain Tumor Institute, and the Obesity Institute.
CNMC also was one of the first childrens hospitals nationally to establish an advocacy program that has grown into the Child Health Advocacy Institute. The event included the presentation of an oral history of the medical center at The City Club at Columbia Square.