You are here:-, Specialty-How can I start my own “portamedic” or “paramedical” exam company?

How can I start my own “portamedic” or “paramedical” exam company?

Dear Donna,

I am a health educator who has an RN, an MS and a PhD. I would like to cross over somewhat to do insurance physicals. More specifically, I want to open an agency that employs RNs as independent contractors to service the insurance companies by doing the home physicals and drawing the necessary labs.

Would you have any idea as to how I should get started?

June

Dear Donna replies:

Dear June,

There are franchise opportunities for “portamedic” or “paramedical” exam companies — those that provide medical exams to insurance companies. You might consider that. If you do an Internet search for “portamedic exam franchise” and “paramedical exam franchise,” you’ll come up with several company names, such as APPS and ExamOne. This likely would be the easiest way to get your business up and running, and it’s a good opportunity for a nurse.

If you don’t want to go the franchise route, then start talking to insurance agents who use portamedic companies. Ask their representatives what their companies need and want, what they like or dislike about the companies they currently do business with, etc. Doing so will help you find out what they are paying for the service so you can offer a competitive rate. You might even consider working for a while as an examiner for one of the companies to learn more about how they operate before starting your own business.

Consider attending one of my upcoming How to Start Your Own Business or Consulting Practice seminars. See where I’ll be at www.Nurse.com/events.

My best wishes,
Donna

By | 2010-11-30T00:00:00+00:00 November 30th, 2010|Categories: Nursing specialties, Specialty|16 Comments

Linda Anderson January 11, 2017 at 7:20 pm - Reply

I would like to see how I might go about starting my own business doing insurance physicals and labs. I am a LVN

Lisa Pitts January 13, 2017 at 12:26 am - Reply

want to talk about starting my own paramedical company. i use to have a portamedic branch

Lisa Meinero February 11, 2017 at 5:05 pm - Reply

I’m interested in your input on how to start a paramedical
      Business. I’ve worked for both APPS and Porta medic on and off for 19 years. I’d love your input on how to do this on my own. I’m tired of running around and making them money and would like to increase my income without franchising.
      Thanks for your suggestions and input in advance

Dana Jump February 27, 2017 at 4:17 pm - Reply

I am interested as well.

Lisa Howard May 27, 2018 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Would love to talk with someone about opening my own paramed exam company in Tennessee. I currently do exams and feel I could definitely open and operate my own office. Would love to talk to you Lisa Pitts since you have done this before!

BRENDA R RODRIGUEZ October 4, 2017 at 9:07 pm - Reply

would like steps on opening paramed company in houston

Chris P March 28, 2018 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Yes – would love the opportunity to start my own paramedical company.

Hemaxi Patel August 1, 2018 at 11:43 pm - Reply

I have 18 + years of phlebotomist experience with pediatric to geriatric patient and with Medicare and Medicaid patients and all other insurance + I can do pre employment Urine drug screen and EKG as well , spin down serum too, I can take vital, pulse, blood pressure, Height and weights and being 18 + years of experience I like to open up my own business or independent contractor so but I don’t know what I need to do and I am certified phlebotomist also. How can I start ? Or what I need to do?

Veronica Madison August 13, 2018 at 7:52 pm - Reply

I am very interested in starting my own national paramedical exams company. Unfortunately, I need some help on how to go about doing so. I am certified nurse technician. I know I can do this. Thank you for your guidance

Denise Potter January 18, 2019 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Wanting info on how to start my own paramed business

ryan January 22, 2019 at 9:31 am - Reply

Hi Denise,

Shoot me an email, I can help you start your own paramed business

Essie March 6, 2019 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Ryan I am in Rochester NY and would like more help on opening my own Paramed business. please email me at essies@msn.com.
        Thanks in advance.

Teresa Rudik January 20, 2019 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Denise The start up for a paramedical company would take too many steps to go through here! Franchises for some cities are available. APPS American Para Professional Systems Inc have been around since 1973 and provide tremendous support of their franchisee’s Good Luck

Shirine January 29, 2019 at 11:23 pm - Reply

I am a nurse and paramed examiner and would like to talk to someone about starting my own business or franchise.

Rickey Luckett February 22, 2019 at 9:02 pm - Reply

I am a phlebotomist and I do paramedical exams for one of the major paramedical conpanies. I would like to talk to someone about starting my own business.

tona keller April 20, 2019 at 4:26 am - Reply

I am in Texas
    I am interested in starting a paramedical company, I have extensive health care experience
    could you have someone contact me