You are here:-, Nursing careers and jobs-What liability protections should I seek before opening my home microdermabrasion practice?

What liability protections should I seek before opening my home microdermabrasion practice?


Dear Donna,

I graduated from nursing school more that 30 years ago and have worked in many nursing fields (hospital, home health and school). I signed up for a training session in microdermabrasion in June and am planning to open a practice in my home doing microderm. How am I covered with a nursing license?


Dear Donna replies:

Dear Evelyn,

You need to do several things before launching your practice. First, consult a nurse attorney for advice. A nurse attorney is uniquely qualified to interpret the law and your state’s nurse practice act. Find a nurse attorney by asking around, getting a referral from your state chapter of the American Nurses Association (whether or not you are a member), or through The American Association of Nurse Attorneys ( This attorney also can advise you on business and liability issues.

Next, check with your nursing liability insurance carrier and your homeowners policy agent to be sure you are covered. You also likely would need some personal/professional liability insurance. Check with an independent insurance agent on this.

Also, be sure to contact the American Academy of Medical Esthetic Professionals ( Rather than reinventing the wheel and trying to figure everything out on your own, start rubbing elbows with those who have been there and done that.

Additionally, you should consider attending my How to Start Your Own Business or Consulting Practice seminar to learn about all the above issues and more, including how to effectively market and promote your business. Find out more at

Good luck,

By | 2010-06-08T00:00:00-04:00 June 8th, 2010|Categories: Blogs, Nursing careers and jobs|0 Comments

About the Author:


Leave A Comment