You are here:----NAHN-NY Gala Honors Students, Healthcare Staff

NAHN-NY Gala Honors Students, Healthcare Staff

The National Association of Hispanic Nurses New York Chapter Inc., held its annual Hispanic student nurse scholarship awards dinner and dance Dec. 5 at the Tarrytown (N.Y.) Marriott. For the fourth year, NAHN-NY student nurse members awarded scholarships by the organization this fall were honored, along with two members of the Hispanic healthcare community — Miriam Carasa, RN, EdD, CNA, chief nursing officer, Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers, who received the nursing leadership award, and Anderson Torres, PhD, LCSW-R, physician relations program, the Visiting Nurse Service of New York, recipient of the community service award — for their support and commitment to NAHN-NY and the community it serves.

The seven scholarship recipients — Genesis Caba, Lauren Castaneda, Jonathan Diaz, Angel Garcia, Maribel Jimenez, Lizette La Croix and Jennifer Susana — were chosen from a pool of NAHN-NY student member applicants who exemplify the organization’s mission. To qualify for the $1,000 awards, students must be enrolled in an accredited associate, diploma, baccalaureate or practical/vocational nursing program on a full-time or part-time basis; have a resume that outlines awards, certificates or honors; and have a minimum GPA of 3.0 preferred. They also were required to submit a sealed letter of recommendation from a faculty member and a 250-word essay that outlines the applicants’ qualifications, potential for leadership in nursing in the Hispanic community and his or her commitment to the chapter and its activities.

Wilhelmina Manzano, RN, left, accepted the Institution of the Year Award from Dan Suarez, RN, on behalf of NewYork-Presbyterian.

In addition to honoring the students and individual supporters of NAHN-NY, the organization also chose one healthcare facility for its Institution of the Year Award. This year’s winner, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, was chosen for its service to the Hispanic community. In her acceptance speech on the hospital’s behalf, Wilhelmina Manzano, RN, MA, NEA-BC, senior vice president and chief nursing officer, thanked the staff. “It’s good to know that we have a group of nurses who care about patients and their families,” she said.

The evening’s keynote speaker, Elena Rios, MD, MSPH, president and CEO of the National Hispanic Medical Association and president of the National Hispanic Health Foundation, spoke on the health of the Hispanic community nationwide, encouraging the audience to be active participants in its improvement. “We need to be involved in the healthcare of all Latinos,” she said.

By | 2020-04-15T14:13:18-04:00 February 22nd, 2010|Categories: New York/New Jersey Metro, Regional|0 Comments

About the Author:

Avatar

Leave A Comment