You are here:-, Nursing careers and jobs-Is my nursing license from China valid in the U.S.?

Is my nursing license from China valid in the U.S.?


Dear Donna,

I am from China, where I have a nursing license. I want to work in nursing in the U.S. Can I use my existing license, or do I need to get a new one in the U.S.?


Dear Donna replies:

Dear Yuqin,

You need to get a U.S. RN license from the state in which you want to work. Because you were trained outside of the country, you first will need to get your credentials/education verified, take an English language test, etc. Find out more about this at the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools’ Web site at

I also would suggest that you contact the Asian American/Pacific Islander Nurses Association ( for help and support in making the transition.

My best wishes,

By | 2010-02-03T00:00:00-05:00 February 3rd, 2010|Categories: Blogs, Nursing careers and jobs|0 Comments

About the Author:


Leave A Comment