How do I transfer my LPN license from Michigan to Illinois?

By | 2022-02-08T17:37:32-05:00 February 26th, 2009|0 Comments


Dear Donna,

I am a newly graduated Michigan LPN, and I need to move to Illinois. How do I transfer my license from Michigan to Illinois?


Dear Donna replies:

Dear Angie,

You need to apply to the Illinois Board of Nursing for a license by endorsement. Go to and start reading on page 5 under “Endorsement.” You must complete the application and requirements and pay a fee. The process takes from a few weeks to a few months. You may be eligible for temporary work permit in Illinois while your application is being processed.

Here’s an article you may find helpful: “Get Ready to Relocate” at

Good luck!

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nursing Spectrum/NurseWeek’s “Dear Donna” and author of Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional and The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career. Information about the books is available at and, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call (800) 866-0919 or visit


Discover how can help you find your next dream job.
Just sign up and wait to be paired with your perfect match.

About the Author:


Leave A Comment