A total of 100 nurses attended Mercy Medical Center’s first evidence-based practice symposium Oct. 28 at the Baltimore facility’s Mcauley Conference Center.
The program, “Is EBP for Me? Evidence-Based Practice in a Magnet Hospital: A Staff Nurse Perspective,” included speakers, panel discussions, and poster presentations by RNs from Mercy and The Johns Hopkins Hospital, who collaborated to conduct the event.
Keynote speaker Karen B. Haller, vice president of nursing and patient care services, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, presented “Evidence-Based Practice: Challenge and Change.”
A panel of nurses, including Mercy’s Kathleen Krupica, RN, BS, BSN, eighth floor clinical nurse 2, offered a presentation on Mercy’s first research study, “A Taste of Research: An Introduction to Research.” The panel group also included Hopkins nurses Mary Fern Boyle, RN; Melissa Vista, RN, BSN, ONC; and Laurie Bryant, RN, BSN, ONC.
Among the poster presentations by Mercy nurses were
• “Critical Action-MegaSkills: A Creative Approach to Nursing Competencies in the Emergency Department,” by Stacey Brull, RN, MSN; Susan Appling, CRNP, MS; and Beth Kilmoyer, RN-BC, MS
• “Keys to Successful Evidence-Based Practice Implementation: Experiences from Mercy Medical Center,” by Kathryn Mohler, RN, BSN; Denise Gajewski, RN, BSN, CCRN; and Elizabeth Riley, RN, BSN, MA
• “An Evidence-Based Approach to Skin Care,” by Kathryn Mohler, RN, BSN; Denise Gajewski, RN, BSN, CCRN; and Elizabeth Riley, RN, BSN, MA
• “Choosing a Care Delivery Model,” by nursing practice council members Donna McCoy, RN; Gabriella Ayine, RN; and Kathryn Green, RN
• ” A Perioperative EBP Initiative: Preoperative Patient Warming and the Effects on Postoperative Outcomes,” by Bonnie Rosenthal, RN, CPAN; Pat Lavezza, RN, CPAN; Cindy Voith, MSN; Julis Batistia, MSN; Betty Dice, RN, CPAN; Jackie Pavy, BSN; Molly Soper, RN; Brull; and Appling
• “Post-Transrectal Ultrasound Prostate Biopsy (TRUS): Using the Evidence to Create a Standard of Care One Nursing Unit’s Journey,” by Rennis Hiltz, RN; Kellie Garrity, RN, BSN; Deborah Pennington, RN, MS; Michelle Spencer, RN, MS; April Vilches, RN, BSN; and Appling
• “A Question of Competence Neonatal Nurse Practitioner,” by Jan Wilson, CRNP, MS
• “A Taste of Research: An Introduction to Research,” by Appling; Christine Brown, RN, BSN, CCRN; Ann Johnson, RN, CRNP; and Krupica