Registered Nurse-Medical Appeals and Grievance (prior Medical Claims/Utilization Review experience)
Responsible for utilizing clinical acumen and managed care expertise related to researching, resolving and responding to requests for member and provider appeals, grievances, reconsiderations and corrected claims for all lines of business with emphasis on privacy, accuracy, meeting all regulatory and compliance timelines.
- Perform in-depth analysis, clinical review and resolution of provider appeals/inquiries, corrected claims and subscriber reconsiderations, member appeals, corrected claims and provider grievances for all lines of business
- Identify, research, process, resolve and respond to customer inquiries primarily through written / verbal communication.
- Respond to a diverse and high volume of health insurance appeal related correspondence on a daily basis.
- Analyze medical records and apply medical necessity criteria and benefit plan requirements to determine the appropriateness of appeal, grievance and reconsideration requests.
- Maintain complete and accurate records per department policy.
- Meet quality, quantity and timeliness standards to achieve individual and department performance goals as defined within the department guidelines and required by State, Federal and other accrediting organizations.
- Demonstrate ability to apply plan policies and procedures effectively.
- Consult and coordinate with various internal departments, external plans, providers, businesses, and government agencies to obtain information and ensure resolution of customer inquiries.
- Attend staff and interdepartmental meetings.
- Participate in continuing education and current developments in the fields of medicine and managed care.
- Maintain all standards in consideration of State, Federal, BCBSAZ and other accreditation requirements.
- Maintain productivity and accuracy goals based on regulatory requirements, accreditation standards, and service level agreements.
- Demonstrate ability to acquire specialized knowledge to complete all types of level one appeals, grievances and corrected claims for local lines of business using appropriate benefit plan booklet, administrative guidelines and policies, medical criteria guidelines, claims research, provider contracts and fee schedules, communication records research and precertification research.
- Articulate to customers a variety of information about the organization’s services, including but not limited to, contract benefits, changes in coverage, eligibility, claims, BCBSAZ programs, and provider networks.
- Adheres to BCBSAZ brand promise of being a “Trusted Advisor” by walking in the customers shoes including processing work using the principles of easy, effective, emotional
1-3 years experience in clinical and health insurance-case mgmt., utilization mgmt., claims preferred
- Ability to demonstrate specialized knowledge to administer Federal Employee Program (FEP)inquiries, appeals, grievances and sub-reconsiderations using appropriate service benefit plan provisions, and internal policies, medical criteria guidelines, claims research, provider contracts and fee schedules, communication records research, and precertification research.
- Ability to demonstrate specialized knowledge to perform reviews for local lines of business, Blue Card Home member appeals and grievances, and Blue Card Host provider grievances. MAG Clinicians also support FEP for member reconsiderations, provider appeals, corrected claims and inquiries.
Required work experience:
1 year- Experience in clinical and Health Insurance or other healthcare related field (Level 1)
Plus 1 year Experience in Managed Care with a focus in Utilization Mgmt (UM) Prior Authorizations (PA), Claims, and/or Medical Appeals/Grievance (MAG)
Associate’s Degree in a healthcare field of study or Nursing Diploma
- Active, current, and unrestricted license to practice in the State of Arizona (a state in the United States) as a Registered Nurse (RN)