Anesthesia Technician - PRN
St. Davids South Austin Medical Center is part of St. Davids HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. St. David's South Austin Medical Center is an acute care facility with 316 beds, offering a range of complex specialties and sub-specialties, including a nationally accredited oncology program with the areas only adult bone marrow transplant program; a trauma program that includes all of the capabilities and programmatic elements of a Level II trauma center to treat the most severely injured and critical patients; a comprehensive cardiac program; full-service maternity and newborn care with Level I and II nurseries; and two full-service emergency centers in the communities of Bee Cave and Bastrop.
The Anesthesia Technologist provides assistance to the anesthesia Unit in the proficient and safe delivery of anesthesia to the surgical patient, under the supervision and direction of the Surgery Department Manager. Provides supplies, equipment and preparation of special invasive supplies for hemodynamic monitoring and assistance.
· Uses patient diagnosis and anesthesia preference to provide the supplies and equipment needs of the Anesthesia Unit for each procedure.
· Maintains adequate levels of anesthesia supplies and equipment for the daily schedule by ordering and/or stocking in every anesthesia location.
· Demonstrates skill and efficiency in preparing invasive supplies for hemodynamic monitoring and assists the Anesthesiologist in the placement of these lines.
· Takes responsibility for the sanitation and/or sterilization of all anesthesia equipment according to applicable policy and procedure.
· Obtains drugs as needed by the Anesthesia unit.
· Sets priorities according to the needs of each Anesthesiologist.
· Coordinates and maintains an adequate level of anesthesia drugs at every anesthesia location in the Hospital.
· The patients right to privacy and confidentiality of information is maintained at all times. Confidentiality is demonstrated by limiting patient-related discussions to only appropriate health care workers and avoiding discussions in areas where information may be overheard.
· Contributes to the smooth functioning of the Unit by offering help to other staff members. Assists with patient care functions beyond those assigned.
· Demonstrates safe, effective working knowledge of equipment: (Cardiac monitoring equipment, invasive and noninvasive monitoring equipment, Blood warmers and rapid flow delivery systems, Steris System, etc.)
· Maintains and properly uses the crash cart. Is familiar with the location of drugs, supplies and equipment on the cart. Assembles and operates all crash cart equipment (defibrillator, EKG monitor, ambu bags, laryngoscope, etc.)
· In actual cardiac/respiratory arrest/code situations, performs basic life support and code procedure as described in Hospital policy. Responds quickly and in a calm and effective manner.
· Demonstrate understanding of HCAs and “Patients First” safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.