PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 800 physicians and providers, a comprehensive laboratory system, and nine medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues to serve communities when invited to do so with a spirit of collaboration and stewardship. This is The Spirit of Healing—The Spirit of PeaceHealth.
Department:Nursing Administration RB (7061)
PeaceHealth has an exciting opportunity for a Spanish Interpreter! This is a per diem, variable shift position.
Interpreters with PeaceHealth are responsible for interpreting or translating information between limited English-speaking patients/family members and medical personnel or others as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with the members of the health care team to ensure cultural sensitive communication to the limited English proficient patient.
- Facilitate the flow of communication between parties: interpret in the selected language taking into account factors such as literary level, principal idioms and slang, and cultural and social context; select the appropriate mode of interpretation to build rapport between the provider and patient and avoid adding, omitting or distorting meaning or content of the provider-patient communication.
- Translate written materials to/from providers, caregivers, visitor, etc. for effective care and education of patients with limited English proficiency.
- Practice in accordance with the interpreter Code of Ethics and legal/regulatory requirements related to medical interpretation and translation.
- Maintain interpretation/translation records and logs to provide statistical insight regarding service utilization and effectiveness.
- Assist with general staff training concerning policies, methods, and equipment to fulfill our obligations for effective communication for patients with limited English proficiency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Medical terminology classes required or equivalent experience will be considered.
- Minimum of six months experience working in a hospital or medical clinic providing interpretation/translation services. Experience in translating medical information required.
- Interpreter Training Certification Program from a recognized agency specializing in medical interpreter training.
- Demonstrated competence in selected language with verbal and written skill and cultural understanding
- Ability to multi-task and work under emergency or high stress situations
- Proficient use of computer including MS Office applications and other applicable software
- Excellent customer service skills
Location: Springfield, OR
Job Category: Professionals - Other
Work Type: Per Diem/Relief
Salary range starts at: $15.79
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed within this job class. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Springfield, OR || Professionals - Other || Per Diem/Relief || HOSPITAL ADMIN