The Nursing Assistant functions in a support role to the Registered Professional Nurse by providing direct patient care and related activities as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs procedures associated with activities of daily living and personal hygiene of the patient.
2. Observes, reports, and records routine and specific patient data, behaviors and responses to treatment on appropriate flow sheet.
3. Performs procedures related to assuring a safe environment for patients, staff and others.
4. Performs procedures associated with the admission, transfer and discharge of patients.
5. Performs procedures associated with the maintenance of food and fluid intake.
6. Performs procedures associated with excretion of body waste and/or loss of fluids.
7. Provides for safe and comfortable movement of patients in accordance with the principles of good body mechanics. Utilizes mechanical devices as necessary.
8. Performs simple applications of heat and cold.
9. Provides care to the body of deceased patients in preparation for removal to the morgue. Provides support to the family/significant others. Secures property.
10. Obtains, assembles and maintains equipment for use during diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
11. Assists members of the health care team with physical exam and other procedures.
12. Performs errands away from the area of assignment to implement the care of patients including transporting stat specimens and/or obtaining supplies as necessary, i.e., equipment for Team 7000.
13. Maintains a clean, uncluttered and tidy environment.
14. Maintains equipment and cleans as necessary. Stocks supplies.
15. Utilizes aggression control measures in the care of patients who are verbally or physically threatening.
16. Performs 1:1 observation of patients on special observation status, i.e., suicide, safety, elopement precautions.
17. Attends ongoing staff development as assigned to maintain appropriate knowledge base and skills.
18. Maintains attendance and punctuality record in accordance with departmental standards.
19. Assumes other responsibilities as assigned.