1) Assist the Heart Team in the admission of patients to the CCU; Perform and record history and physical examination; Write routine admission orders & arrange for appropriate laboratory and x-ray studies and consultation; Write routine pre & postoperative orders as appropriate; Perform procedures such as suture removal, chest tube insertion/removal, central line insertion/removal/other; Assist in operations/procedures performed by the CT surgery/Heart Team as indicated within the scope of practice.
2) Participate in daily management of all cardiac patients in the CCU; to participate in postoperative care of patients, being especially knowledgeable in the recognition of post operative complications; Inform surgeon/cardiologist/ intensivist of all changes in patient's condition; Collect data and write pertinent progress notes on chart; Summarize detail of patient's hospitalization; Make routine rounds; Assess and plan patient post-operative course/daily CCU hospitalization needs and implement indicated therapy.
3) Keep surgeon/cardiologist/Intensivist informed of additional needs, problem areas and suggestions beneficial to improvement of department.
4) Liaison to resident teams/nursing/PAs/NPs for appropriate transfer care plans and communications.
5) Discharge planning/summaries.
6) Participate in CTS data base collection & data entry as directed.
7) Participate in research studies as requested.
8) Other duties as assigned.
Schedule will have shifts that vary according to surgical schedule which includes a requirement to work at least one overnight shift per week with weekend schedule as seen fit by CT surgeon and the acuity of the unit.