Under general supervision reporting to the Nurse Coordinator of Radiology Nursing and according to established standards, policies and procedures, assesses, provides, correlates and manages professional nursing care to patients within the Department of Imaging Services. Duties and responsibilities may vary depending on the Radiation Section and type of procedure the patient is undergoing.
- The Nursing process including, but not limited to, assessment planning implementation, evaluation and monitoring. Functions as patient advocate. Develops, implements and monitors goal-directed care based on medical diagnosis and patient outcome. Initiates appropriate interventions as indicated. Assists physicians in delivery of care, evaluated patient response to intervention and modifies care as appropriate.
- Documentation including charting, referrals, variance reporting and departmental CQI, utilizing verbal, written and computer skills.
- Collaboration with appropriate healthcare professionals in the delivery of patient care. Maintains communication with physicians, radiologists, patients, family and other members of the healthcare team regarding patient status, treatment and outcome to facilitate the continuity of patient care. Provides emotional support.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of appropriate nursing skills and technology relevant to the field of Imaging Services. Develops resource information to facilitate the teaching process for patient and family, personnel and other healthcare members, internal or external resources and acts as an educational resource individual.
- Maintains skills and knowledge of technology relevant to radiation safety and works to ensure a clean, safe environment at all times for patients and other staff members. Maintains current knowledge and expertise in safety issues, uses universal precautions, handles waste and disposal of hazardous waste as warranted.
- The level of knowledge equivalent to that ordinarily acquired through completion of an Associate or Bachelor Degree in Nursing
- Current licensure as a registered nurse in Massachusetts
- Minimum of 18 months experience within a critical care nursing environment
Patient care environment including care of critically ill patients, exposure to potentially infectious materials, x-radiation, radiology materials and equipment