The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of Stony Brook University’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It includes Stony Brook University Hospital, Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, SBUH is the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center. We are home of the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Long Island Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. At Stony Brook Medicine, we put the power of ideas to work. Join our team at Stony Brook Medicine – the best ideas in medicine.
Descriptive Title: Nurse Manager
Budget Title: TH Assistant Director of Nursing
State Professional Position
Department: Mother Baby/Antepartum
State Line#: 19678
Campus: Stony Brook-University Hospital
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Required Qualifications: NYS RN Licensure. Minimum five years post-licensure in nursing with progressive leadership responsibilities. Bachelor's degree in Nursing. Minimum three years relevant nursing experience in specialty. Minimum two years management/supervisory experience or commensurate experience. Proficiency in computer skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree in Nursing, Health Care Administration or related field or current enrollment in a Master's program. Certification in specialty. Clinical and/or leadership experience in Obstetrics.
Brief Description of Duties:
• Is a Department Head who supervises, coordinates, and directs the 24 hour daily operation of a unit(s) and the staff.
• Provides a cost effective, safe, therapeutic and aesthetically pleasing environment.
• Identifies staffing needs based on patient acuity and nurse level of practice.
• Plans monthly and vacation time schedules.
• Interviews and recommends selection of nursing staff.
• Completes shift and/or daily patient care and unit assignment sheets based on patient acuity and nurses' levels of practice.
• Delegates specific tasks to subordinates according to their abilities and the task at hand, providing them with direction and supervision for successful task completion.
• Monitors the quality of nursing care rendered, and the documentation of the nursing process through direct interaction with nursing staff and their assigned patients.
• Coordinates the delivery of patient care rendered, and the documentation of the nursing process through direct interaction with nursing staff and their assigned patients. Conducts ongoing review and audit of patient's medical records.
• Ensure all staff's compliance with safety and environmental standards.
• Establish and maintain par levels of equipment and supplies needed to provide direct and indirect patient care.
• Monitors the use of supplies and equipment, assuming responsibility for appropriate utilization and cost containment.
• Identifies and collaborates with the educational resources to determine appropriate action.
• Identifies and collaborates in the development of clinical competencies related to the skills required to provide quality patient care.
• Defines and implements unit orientation programs for nursing personnel, house staff and other professionals assigned to the unit.
• Ensures the timely completion of all orientation and skill competencies required by collaborating with CNS's, T&R III"s, preceptors, unit educators and instructors.
Special Notes: Shift: Flexible, pass days are Saturday/Sunday. All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair. Please note Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment.
Please note: Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services, clear a background investigation; submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in applying for the above position should submit a State Application, resume and cover letter reflecting UH# to:
Stony Brook Medicine
University Hospital Human Resources Department
3 Technology Drive, Suite 100
East Setauket , NY 11733-4073
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 08/04/2014, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Category: D) Health Service (including Physician Assistant, Patient Care Specialist).