- Provides direct patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Assists each assigned patient as needed in bathing, grooming, oral care, feeding and ambulation.
- Checks patients regularly. Ensures food delivery and sets up trays for patient's convenience. Feeds patients when necessary and considers patient's ability to chew and swallow. Ensures that fresh water and nourishment are provided regularly when appropriate.
- Consistently performs oral care as needed. Brushes teeth and observes oral mucosa.
- Removes and cleans dentures and/or partials. Provides a labeled receptacle for storage.
- Answers call lights in a timely basis.
- Consistently uses Nurse Locator System.
- Orients assigned patient to his/her room on admission. Explains the operation of bed, call and emergency lights, television, and storage of safe for valuables or sends them home with family.
- Takes and records on the interview portion of admission card all vital signs, height, weight, and allergies.
- Follows procedures for specimen collection, labeling accurately, and timely routing to Laboratory.
- Demonstrates accuracy when taking temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, height and weight.
- Documents and accurately maintains intake and output.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of universal precaution, infection control and isolation procedures. At all times adheres to policies and procedures as outlined in the Procedures Manual. Washes hands before and after patient contact.
- Demonstrates competence in assisting RNs and physicians in medical treatments as defined by Hospital policy.
- Assists in planning, providing and evaluating patient care as a member of the nursing team.
- Provides patient teaching as directed by R.N.
- Assists with pre-operative and post-operative care: Position patient; Lifts and turns patient with proper body mechanics; Applies/utilizes special equipment as necessary and ambulates patient.
- Provides for safe care of patient transfers. Assumes responsibility for bagging, labeling, and routing all patient belongings with each transfer, including: glasses, dentures, clothing, etc. Documents belongings on Section I of the IPA.
- Assumes responsibility for sending home all personal belongings with each discharged patient.
- Refers to R.N. or reference manuals as a resource when unfamiliar with assigned tasks or procedures.
- Regularly identifies potential problems or areas of improvement and communicates such to R.N.
- Regularly discusses patient car with R.N.
- Reports and records as necessary any change observed in condition or behavior of patient; contributes to nursing care plan.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment by immediately reporting any defective equipment or other problems to the Charge Nurse.
- Cleans equipment and prepares it for disinfection.
- Receives inventories and stocks supplies as appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains n interpersonal relationships with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel.
- Assures confidentiality of patient information.
- Attends in-service education programs as assigned to learn new treatments, procedures, developmental skills, etc.
- Employs proper techniques of body mechanics to ensure patient and staff safety at all times.
- BLS card is current and renewed annually prior to expiration date.
- Recognizes the need and initiates BLS appropriately.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform in a precise and accurate manner during a crisis and emergency situations.
- Performs all other duties as assigned within the scope of practice.
- Minimum Education: High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Knowledge necessary to obtain C.N.A. license in the state of California and current C.N.A. certification. Current American Heart Association BLS certification.
- Preferred Skills and Abilities: Basic knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in beside patient care. Recent acute care experience
Job : Nursing Assistants and PCA
Primary Location : CA-Fountain Valley
Hospital/Facility : 024-Fountain Valley Regional Hospital - Fountain Valley, CA
Job Type : Full-time
Shift Type : 12 Hour Night