The Assistant Nurse Manager plays a key role in creating a positive patient experience. In this role, you will assume responsibility for the overall assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care on the unit. You must be able to carry out the System, Hospital and Nursing Service's mission, vision, values and the overall strategic planning, clinical management, patient care, budgeting, financial management and quality management on the unit. You are expected to promote the health system service standards and create a patient focused caring environment while addressing and meeting the individual needs of the patient. You should foster an environment of collaboration and respect with physician colleagues, nurses and other healthcare team members.
1. Standards Compliance
- Maintains current knowledge of and ensures compliance with all regulatory and professional standards of care which includes JCAHO, CMS, IHI, CAP, etc.
- Utilizes creativity in developing quality/performance improvement programs, instructing staff and implementing new and improved standards.
- Utilizes results from "tracer" methodology tools to develop corrective action plans to ensure that quality of care is embedded into clinical practice on an ongoing basis.
2. Operational Performance
- Develops, prepares and monitors the personnel, supply and equipment budgets in collaboration with the staff and support department directors.
- Develops long-term unit staffing schedules and ensures adequate daily coverage in accordance with established staffing needs.
- Develops measures and monitors unit operational performance metrics inclusive of LOS, agency and overtime costs, vacancy and turnover rates.
3. Clinical Practice/Patient Care
- Collaborates with the Nurse Executive to establish nursing care standards and evaluates staff compliance.
- Identifies research protocols effecting the patient population served and keeps nursing staff informed.
- Facilitates the effective provision of support services essential to patient care.
- Maintains a safe and caring environment for patients that is conducive to positive health teaching, and maintenance; patient and family expectations of care; develops mechanism to assess same.
- Develops unit goals and objectives to support the institutional values and goals, with input from staff.
- Recognizes the need for patient care to be delivered in a culturally sensitive manner and role models sensitivity to staff.
- Participates in the overall planning process for the service.
- Responsible for the overall planning process for the unit.
- Uses findings from patient satisfaction survey and with input from the staff, to establish unit based customer services agenda.
- Uses findings from staff satisfaction survey and with input from the staff, to establish a unit based recruitment and retention agenda.
- Develops an effective plan for delivery of nursing care within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Responds to patient and family concerns or complaints with sensitivity and compassion in a timely fashion.
- Conducts monthly meetings with the staff to address equipment, scheduling, goals and objectives, performance metrics and improvement activities, and any staff concerns.
5. Human Resource Development/Management
- Hires, educates and evaluates staff.
- Works with Human Resources to counsel, discipline and terminate staff as needed.
- Educates staff in new and existing department procedures and systems (e.g. information systems, fiscal responsibility, etc).
- Makes recommendations and provides opportunities for growth and development of personnel and arranges for appropriate education and training. Is able to identify at least one potential successor to the Nurse Manager role
- Creates and maintains a supportive working environment for all staff, and students.
- Demonstrates self-development and keeps current on a variety of clinical management and health care topics.
- Completes the CLI Core Management Series and appropriate management conferences.
- Responds in a timely fashion to staff concerns and functions proactively to retain staff
- Establishes unit metrics and goals to measure effectiveness of retention strategies.
- Creates and maintains an atmosphere of respect and courtesy toward patients, staff and colleagues.
- Employs learning organization principles and techniques in all aspects of unit leadership
- Promotes a level of professionalism on the unit. Motivates academic pursuit and continuing education on the part of the staff by establishing and meeting service based professional certification goals.
6. Interactive Relationships
- Promotes empowerment of the staff by utilizing collaborative approaches and encouraging new ideas.
- Participates as member of healthcare team and various interdisciplinary committees to improve patient care and meet patient needs.
- Promotes collegial relationships based on mutual respect and support.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, required. Master's Degree, preferred.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
- Minimum of three (3) years nursing experience including previous supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, required.
- BCLS, ACLS, required.
- Critical care experience, required
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
Please note: North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.