Orange Coast College
$ 29,356.00 - $35,722.40
Apply by: 07/11/2014
Complete job description and application available online at: http://www.cccd.edu/employment/open_positions/Pages/classified.aspx
Under the general supervision, to assist physicians and nurses in providing student health care in the Student Health Center (SCH); and to perform related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
a. Assist students, staff, and visitors entering the Student Health Center (SHC).
b. Schedule appointments.
c. Assist physicians during medical examinations and procedures.
d. Under medical or nurse practitioner, perform routine procedures such as phlebotomy. (Includes performing BP and vital signs, other testing, making referrals and follow-up appointments.)
e. Review patient files prior to appointments, and ensure completion of medical notes by the MD at the end of the appointment.
f. Assist registered nurses in providing first aid and emergency care.
g. Coordinate the doctor's schedule in cooperation with nursing staff.
h. Maintain records pertinent to health services.
i. Monitor and accurately record vital signs and symptoms.
j. Assist in compiling health services statistics.
k. Clean and wrap equipment for sterilization.
l. Operate autoclave, centrifuge, glucometer, urinalysis machine, automatic BP monitor and oximeter.
m. Maintain and order medical supplies to ensure adequate stock is available to meet the needs of the SHC.
n. Close the SHC at day's end; straighten exam rooms, close out cash register, set alarm and lock building.
o. Maintain the Student Health Center in a clean and orderly condition.
p. Relieve front office personnel as needed.
q. Assist front office staff with appointments, phone calls, data recording, patient intake, filing and other routine front office duties.
r. Assist with computer tasks, personnel paperwork, student insurance.
s. Maintain effective communication among other campus and District staff.
t. May type a variety of forms and reports as required.
u. Maintain social media for the SHC which may include webpage, Facebook page, and other social media forums.
v. Provide guidance to medical assistant trainees and student assistants.
w. Perform related work as required.
1. Current practices and techniques of medical assisting.
2. Medical terminology and equipment.
3. First aid and emergency care procedures.
4. Maintain CPR and AED certification
5. Telephone etiquette.
6. Modern office equipment and procedures.
7. Accurate record keeping.
8. Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
9. Observe and record health signs and symptoms.
10. Communicate effectively to interpret and explain medical terminology to patients.
11. Remain calm under stressful conditions and in emergency situations.
12. Operate a typewriter as needed.
13. Maintain accurate records and prepare reports.
14. Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
15. Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience:
16. Possession of a valid Medical Assistant Certificate.
17. Or, training and experience equivalent to the completion of an approved medical assistant program.
Conditions of Employment:
This is a regular, 32 hour per week, 10 month per year position. A regular schedule to be arranged with the supervisor between Monday - Thursday, 9:00am - 5:30pm. The effective date of employment is to be arranged with the supervisor.
Starting salaries for support staff positions begin at Step-1 of the salary range. Employees hired prior to April 1 of each year will move to the next step on the upcoming July 1. Employees hired on or after April 1 of each year will move to the next step the following July 1. All movement on the salary schedule will occur July 1 of each year for all classified employees.
Applications must be received no later than the posted closing date. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. Electronic applications may be completed by visiting www.cccd.edu/employment. Once you have completed an electronic application, you may apply to open positions within the Coast Community College District by submitting the application and all other required materials. Required materials differ for each open position and must be complete when submitted for a specific posting. Instructions for completing applications and applying to posted positions are available online or by calling Applicant Processing at (714) 438-4714.
All application materials become the property of the Coast Community College District and will NOT be copied or returned. Information for TDD users is available by calling (714) 438-4755.
To be considered for employment you must submit a complete application packet. A complete application packet includes:
1.A complete Classified/Management Employment Application.
2.A current resume. (Attached as a separate document.)
3.A cover letter highlighting your qualifications for the desired position. (Attached as a separate document.)
4.Answers to Supplemental Questions.
To ensure consistency and fairness to all applicants, please do not submit materials in addition to those requested. Additional materials will not be considered or returned. Be sure to complete all questions and sections of the application. For questions which may not apply, indicate "n/a" (not applicable). If you do not know an answer, please indicate so, but do not leave any space blank.
All applications will be screened under a process of utmost confidentiality by a committee of representatives from the college community. Please note: Possession of the minimum qualifications does not ensure an interview.
Any documents that you are unable to attach can be faxed to (714) 782-6065. Faxes must clearly indicate the job you are applying to and your name.
If you require accommodations in the Application or Examination Process, please notify Human Resources by calling (714) 438-4714 OR (714) 438-4713.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• A detailed list of physical demands and work environment is on file and will be provided upon request.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer