Come work for an organization where everything matters.
This is a part-time benefits-eligible position working 32 hours per week 7:00am - 3:00pm. One year minimum OR experience preferred. EPIC experience a plus.
Minimum hourly rate: $21.460.
Plans executes directs and evaluates the nursing care given to the surgical patient by assuming the peri-operative role (i.e. pre-operative intra-operative and post-operative period) and may have contact with the patient in each phase of the surgical experience. Responsibilities include functioning as a team leader to the support staff; the preparation assembly and organization of the environment; ensuring equipment and supplies needed to perform the activities necessary for the preparation as circulator or scrub person are ready; and the recovery of the ambulatory surgical patient. Demonstrates competence defined (*) in Clinical Nurse responsibilities in providing age-appropriate care and service to patients from the age of birth to 21 years and selected adult patients.
As a Pre-Op Nurse:
1. Participates in the preparation of the patient for surgery.
2. Maintains communication with the reception areas and O.R. to assure efficient movement of patients.
3. Assists with the preparation of medications for blocks and/or local injections to be given.
4. Provides emotional support for the patient and family.
As Circulating Nurse:
5. Checks medical gas alarm panel and sterilizers required by the day's surgery schedule for proper functioning.
6. Assists Scrub Tech with opening supplies for case.
7. Prepares patient for surgery by verifying patient identity and scheduled procedure and assists patient in the O.R.
8. Helps to relieve patient's apprehension before and during administration of anesthesia; offers assistance to anesthesia personnel as needed; remains at patient’s side during induction.
9. Performs surgical preparation.
10. Makes available additional instruments and supplies as requested during the operation.
11. Records vital signs and gives medications as ordered by physician or anesthesia personnel during local sedation cases.
12. Counts sponges and needles that may be required by surgical case/procedure.
13. Assists in transferring the patient to PACU and reports to receiving PACU staff.
14. Assures that supplies for each case are ready for use.
15. Assists in the cleaning of the room after a case.
16. Assists with post-op call to patient and documents patients/families responses on the patient's record.
17. Takes inventory and restocks supplies as needed.
18. Updates physicians' cards as needed.
19. Performs functions in the instrument processing system.
20. Assists with nursing functions in other clinical areas.
As a Scrub Nurse:
21. Shares responsibility with the Circulating Nurse for ensuring that supplies for each case have been collected and readied for the day's schedule.
22. Dusts all lights and flat surfaces of room prior to first case in the morning.
23. Performs the duties of the Certified Surgical Technologist.
24. When scrubbed: assists with draping patient; arranges instruments and supplies in a convenient manner; opens and prepares sutures; assists surgeon throughout operation by providing the sterile instruments and supplies he requires; assures a sterile field is maintained in and around the operating site.
25. Counts sponges and needles with Circulating Nurse as applicable.
26. Cleans instruments and the O.R. at the end of each case.
27. Assists with transport of patient to PACU providing appropriate
information to ensure continuity of care.
28. Performs other duties as directed by the Nurse Manager.
29. Receives patient from O.R./PACU assesses patient's condition on admission to PACU and Phase II and discharge from PACU and Phase II and documents on PACU record.
30. Observes and monitors the post-op patient by taking vital signs EKG and documenting patient's progress while in the PACU.
31. Administers medications IV's and treatments; maintains records regarding dispensing; observes and evaluates patient's reaction and acts appropriately in the event of adverse reactions.
32. Performs/assists physician in sterile and non-sterile dressing changes and other procedures as requested.
33. Provides a summary of post-op instructions to patient/family prior to discharge from the unit; documents patient/family's understanding of teaching according to standards; makes sure patient has follow-up appointment before being discharge.
34. In an emergency situation: is able to give immediate respiratory assistance or support including use of AMBU bag airways and endotracheal tubes; administers CPR; assists with defibrillation and performs venipuncture following PALS standards.
35. Maintains Code Blue/crash cart.
36. Recognizes and utilizes safety precautions and procedures; follows universal precautions policy.
37. Remains familiar with equipment and supplies including function location and upkeep; assists in restocking unit as needed.
38. Maintains a comfortable orderly clean safe environment in the recovery areas.
39. Actively participates in the Performance Improvement program.
40. Reviews charts daily prior to filing in medical records
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Graduate of an approved school of nursing.
2. Licensed as a registered nurse in the State of Ohio.
3. Current CPR certification.
4. ACLS certification preferred.
5. One year of PACU O.R. or Acute Care experience preferred. Clinical Nurse.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Must be able to see hear stand walk speak read and perform manual tasks with or without accommodation and care for oneself with little or no difficulty.
2. Must be able to independently lift up to 25 lbs.
3. Must be able to move or reposition patients of any weight or size with the assistance of another person(s) and/or equipment.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.