Coder Training Program - THIS PROGRAM IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO CURRENT ST. JOSEPH EMPLOYEES!
St. Joseph will pay tuition up front for full time employees to take the coursework needed to become a Certified Clinical Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC-H).
The requirements for an employee to receive these benefits are:
- The program may be a classroom or online course, but it must prepare the employee to sit for the AAPC or AHIMA certification exam. Eligible coding program must be approved by the HIM Director.
- St. Joseph will pay tuition and the same types of fees and related costs as are covered under the Education Assistance Program. St. Joseph will not pay any types of costs that are not covered by the Education Assistance Program.
To be eligible to apply for this program:
- You must complete courses in Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology. Previous clinical education that included these topics will suffice if the coder training program accepts that previous education.
- Costs for the pre-requisites will not be covered by the Coder Training Program but may be covered by the Education Assistance Program, if all requirements of that program are met.
- Employees must apply for the program through the on-line application system.
- The Director of Health Information Management will review applications and determine which applicants will be eligible for the coder tuition payment program.
- A coding position is NOT guaranteed once the certification is completed. Employees may apply for any open coder positions as they become available.
Employees must repay St. Joseph for all costs incurred if:
- The employee fails to complete the coursework.
- The employee fails to pass the AAPC or AHIMA certification exam. The employee must first take the exam within 90 days of completing coursework and will be allowed up to three tries to pass.
- The employee leaves St. Joseph employment less than 24 months after becoming certified as a coder.
- The employee refuses an offer for a coder position with St. Joseph after being certified.
When repayment is due, the reimbursed amount will be deducted from the employee’s final or next check(s). If that does not repay the full reimbursement amount, the employee is expected to pay back any remaining balance within a reasonable period.
Employees interested in the coder tuition payment program will:
- Complete a Coder Training Program application in the online application system.
- Attach school transcripts showing successful completion of courses in Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The Director of HIM will review and notify employees as to whether they have been accepted into the coder tuition program.
- Eligible coding programs must be approved by the HIM Director.
- An employee who has been accepted will register for the coding program and submit the bill to Human Resources.
- Human Resources will review the bill and submit appropriate charges to Accounting for payment.
- Human Resources will notify the employee of any charges that the employee is responsible for paying.
- At the end of the coding program, the employee must provide evidence of having passed the AAPC or AHIMA certification exam.