A Nurse Practitioner is certified under section 6910 of the New York State Education Law and licensed as a Registered Nurse. Provides acute/primary health care in accordance with written policies approved by nursing and medical administration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for patient care as outlined within collaborative practice agreement.
2. Develops and implements a collaborative practice agreement in the specific clinical area and performs a periodic review of the collaborative agreement.
3. Assesses the health status of patients/families by means of comprehensive health history and physical examination.
4. Initiates selected therapeutic and diagnostic procedures, consultations and laboratory examination, prescribes and alters medication regimens, interprets findings and alters plan of care according to collaborative practice agreement and protocols in designated area.
5. Provides teaching and counseling in the areas of health promotion, maintenance, disease prevention, and management of acute/chronic illnesses.
6. Documents findings and plan of care in the patient's medical record.
7. Consults with physician as established in the collaborative practice agreement.
8. Initiates referrals to specialty services and fosters continuity of care.
9. Participates in team meetings and conferences to enhance an interdisciplinary approach to acute/primary health care delivery.
10. Performs a patient record review with the collaborating physician in a timely fashion but not less than every three months
11. Supports the mission, vision, philosophy and goals of the Department of Nursing and the Medical Center.
12. Demonstrates accountability for own nursing practice.
13. Advocates for patients/families and supports patients' rights.
14. Considers ethical issues of professional nursing practice and adheres to the code of ethics.
15. Demonstrates a humanistic, kind, and caring attitude in the delivery of health care.
16. Serves as a resource person to nurses and other health team members.
17. Participates in peer review.
18. Incorporates research findings in clinical practice.
19. Participates in approved nursing and medical research studies.
20. Keeps knowledge current by self directed learning, literature review and attendance at educational programs.
21. Participates in defining, maintaining, and interpreting standards of nursing practice.
22. Contributes to the maintenance of a positive image of advanced practice nursing in the medical center and in the local community by implementing programs which recognize nursing as a profession.
23. Participates in departmental and interdisciplinary committees which influence and/or determine policies affecting nursing practice and patient care delivery.
24. Seeks opportunities to enhance professional nursing practice and influences outcomes.
25. Treats co-workers, patients and families with dignity and respect.
26. Is open and responsive to the diverse backgrounds and experience of other people, and promotes an environment that is sensitive to cultural diversity.