Description: Under the direction of the Nurse, performs sub-professional duties including providing patient care to meet the needs of activities of daily living; operation and maintenance of equipment. Takes and records vital signs and I/Os. Assists licensed staff and physicians as directed within approved standards. Performs other related duties as directed. Assumes the responsibility for meeting the basic needs of all patients assigned. Provides care to a patient population ranging from infant to geriatric, unless otherwise indicated. Works collaboratively with the health care team, is customer focused and strives to meet unit and hospital goals. Provides quality care according to established practice standards and guidelines for the area(s) assigned. Must be willing/able to float to other (comparable) nursing units, as requested/needed. Assist Obstetricians utilizing sterile technique during the surgical delivery of a baby, C-Sections or other obstetrical surgical intervention in the Labor and Delivery Suite. Prepares instrument tables for vaginal deliveries.
• Must utilize common sense and good judgment.
• Must be able to adapt to varying patterns of supervision.
• Must be able to perform duties accurately under stress.
• Must perform duties within scope of practice and conforming to standards of practice.
• Must have the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with physicians, patients and family members.
• Discretion is required in handling confidential information.
• Must be able to work irregular schedules, weekends, and holidays due to staffing and census fluctuations.
• High school graduate or equivalent
• Graduate of an approved Operating Room Technician Course... Previous OR and or scrubbing experience accepted.
• Successful completion of hospital service orientation program
• Attends Skills Fair and completes yearly competency checklists
• Must have current BCLS certification
• Previous hospital experience preferred
• Competently performs unit specific duties as assigned