The Doctors Hospital Women’s Services department is currently seeking an experienced Labor & Delivery nurse (RN) for a Full Time Night Shift. The L&D RN provides direct patient care in accordance with professional standards, hospital and unit policies, protocols and procedures. They demonstrate the knowledge, skills, understanding and ability to stabilize and care for patients throughout pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period.
Essential Job Duties:
· Collaborates with other health care disciplines to ensure effective patient care delivery and achievement of desired patient outcomes.
· Provides professional nursing care (as defined by the Nurse Practice Act for the State of Texas) within an assigned unit.
· Provides ongoing evaluation of labor progress and reviews plan of care of assigned patients on a daily basis, updating as necessary.
· Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and proficiency in managing obstetrical emergencies.
· Consistently communicates in a manner that demonstrates a positive and cooperative attitude.
· Documents legibly, clearly, and completely the various aspects of the nursing process on appropriate forms and in the electronic patient medical record in a timely manner.
· Utilizes appropriate age specific behaviors when communicating with patients and families and plans care and interventions according to age specific needs.
· Completes the admission assessment and reassessments on assigned patients within the appropriate time frame and utilizes data from these assessments for patient care.
· Makes appropriate decisions with information received from assessments, notifying physicians and other nursing personnel appropriately and in a timely manner.
· Reviews physician orders on assigned patients and requests physician orders when appropriate to plan of care.
· Administers medications accurately and safely (i.e. less than 2 medication errors and/or no medication errors in a rolling 12 month period) including initiation and monitoring of IV solutions.
· Provides for the psychosocial needs of the patient through appropriate interpersonal techniques (i.e. listening, anticipating anxieties, reassuring) and acts as a patient advocate.
· Demonstrates flexibility in schedule as needed including assisting with unit coverage, taking stand by call, and accepting the need to float.
· Supervises, teaches, and guides as appropriate including acting as a role model, preceptor, and mentor to new employees and any direct report personnel.
· Delegates appropriate level of tasks to other licensed and/or unlicensed staff members based on competency levels.
· Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. ADN or BSN (preferred)
· Current Professional License issued and/or recognized by Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas.
· BLS and NRP from AHA.
· ACLS (within 90 days of hire) from AHA.
· Minimum of 1 year experience in L&D; electronic fetal monitoring competency; OB medical screening competency.